Anyone got BOSE??

out of interest how much you looking at to retrofit the bose system assuming you can get the parts fairly cheap 2nd hand?

Amazing! Snipped the wire - excellent base. Many Thanks.:rockwoot:

How do you actually get the head unit out?

I took the gear stick surround off but wasn't sure about the next step without risking snapping something.

I got the removal tools but it's been a bit of a balls up:

Firstly, I don't seem to have a Bose pin (see photos) but worse, the connector with a retaining arm was loose so, when I pulled the head unit out, it came out and now I need a code to get the unit working again. I don't think I was given a code when I bought the car - what can I do?

sat_nav_top.jpg

sat_nav_side.jpg

Have you checked your booklets, usually service book has the code if its been printed!

Have you checked your booklets, usually service book has the code if its been printed!

Panic over! I found it in the manual just after posting.

So, does anyone know why I don't seem to have a Bose pin?

You shouldn't have to put your code in again as that unit should be coded to your car.

I think that was only on the RNS-E, the RNS-D had can communication to the TMC module, and not direct connection to the instrument cluster.

Oh...maybe that's why then! I forgot that it talked to the TMC.

You shouldn't have to put your code in again as that unit should be coded to your car.

Even on the RNS-E (retrofitted units with wiring loom adaptor) if you plug in the main power connector before the CAN-L/H connector (i.e. 20-pin: CD Changer/BOSE or rear Amp connector) - it will ask for the code as the Radio has no contact over CAN-BUS with the convenience module where the radio code is stored/confirmed.
For retrofitted RNS-E make sure power connector is last plug in if you do not unplug the connectors first from the back of the RNS-E.

Not sure if this is the same with RNS-D?

Stock HU is fine, just snip the Bose EQ wire on the back and regain all the highs and lows that Bose deny you. Run the amp for the sub off the rear pre-outs and the fronts off the HU or go with a 4channel amp and run the fronts from the other 2 channels.
The amp fits in the other side, here's the original Alpine I installed and then upgraded to a Genisys, far warmer and more musical:
AvantAmp.jpg

I wouldn't bother with the rears. Concentrate on the fronts and the sub. Here's my stealth sub fitted to our Avant:
HPIM0615.jpg

Yes, so did mine. You just remove the rear panel and cut out the back of the cubbyhole. You can do this really neatly so that if you wanna go back to stock you can easily hotglue it back in place.
I made the enclosure and the sub is a JL Audio 6.5" sub (as I use them in my A3 stealth subs) but you could easily fit the 8" version as per this B5 Avant I did last year:
B5Stealth.jpg

I Quite fancy this now as a bank holiday weekend upgrade!

Can anyone recommend some parts (keeping in mind i will most likely be going to halfords haha, unless somewhere else thats open in recommended!)

I decided to give up and move away from OEM as i am sick of the bass distorting on the rear standard sub in my A4!
I just want something with a bit if kick from the boot!

Cheers!
Chris

Just cut the bose wire on my bose avant system...I was a little nervous and had also contemplated doing the audi bulletin too. So I cut the wire...Holy **** there's some difference, completely different sound now :D