Any Idea What Is Causing This? Rattle At 1000 RPM

Lz36

Reaction score
Recently this rattle has just come out of no where. I'm not sure what it could be..

Its only when I accelerate or keep it around 1000rpm that it makes this noise. When the car is cold, theres no sound of the rattle at all, only when it has warmed up. It doesnt affect the way the car drives, but sometimes when I want to drive without the radio on, it is ANNOYING!

Heres a video...

Its a 2004 Audi A3 FSI 2.0 with 59k on the clock.

It sounds like the rattle is coming from behind the dash, but also under the car. You may have to turn the volume up full to hear it as I recorded it on my phone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to get under there with a torch & bar maybe to find that tbh, could be a multitude of things.

Reactions: Lz36
for some reason I'm only hearing sound when you open the door, and even then there's no excessive rattle evident???

But just for sh*ts & giggles: Exhaust heat shields have a tendency to come loose of their own accord sometimes & that's what I'd be checking first.

Reactions: Lz36 and NHN
for some reason I'm only hearing sound when you open the door, and even then there's no excessive rattle evident???

But just for sh*ts & giggles: Exhaust heat shields have a tendency to come loose of their own accord sometimes & that's what I'd be checking first.[/

I think he has kidnapped Woody the Wood pecker,

on serous note though how is your flywheel, Alternator pulley or can you hear it only at certain revs or over bumps or cobbled streets they are a good test surface.

LZ, as NHN has said, get underneath and run the car at 1000rpm. Take a wooden stick and gently touch anything that looks fragile. Something is resonating at 1000cps, and the wooden stick will deaden it right away. Yes, a suspect could be heat shields, covers, loose pipes, almost anything free to move a bit. Also check under the bonnet for the same noise, which could come from the alternator pulley or anything ever so slightly loose. Good luck.

I appreciate the replies!

Turned out to be the fuel pipes rattling against the body housing. Quick fix from my local garage. Glad it was nothing serious!

Reactions: LDVincenzo