another rod story :(

Just called gsf and they got one on the shell but it's £64. Same one. I think I'll get it off the bay.

Anything else I should replace whilst engine is in bits and the g/box is off? Thought about clutch but there's nout wrong with it so that's a waste of dosh.

Just called gsf and they got one on the shell but it's £64. Same one. I think I'll get it off the bay.

Anything else I should replace whilst engine is in bits and the g/box is off? Thought about clutch but there's nout wrong with it so that's a waste of dosh.

I've gone all out with mine mate, it depends how far you want to go!

I've bought new water pump, stat, engine mounts & bolts, clutch, flywheel, cv boots, list goes on.

I would suggest the stat and water pump if they haven't been done for a year or so as they're not overly expensive.

Both been done. Did stat 3 months back and water pump was done with cambelt during the engine rebuild.

I was just thinking that now I have some decent rods, I'm probably going to get a FMIC and dp done when I've got the £ and go stage 2. Will OEM clutch and flywheel handle it? Engine mounts is a good shout too, OEM or?

Both been done. Did stat 3 months back and water pump was done with cambelt during the engine rebuild.

I was just thinking that now I have some decent rods, I'm probably going to get a FMIC and dp done when I've got the £ and go stage 2. Will OEM clutch and flywheel handle it? Engine mounts is a good shout too, OEM or?

I enquired about genuine mounts from VW and they were very expensive. I have my eye on these:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I did however order brand new engine mount bolts for all mounts including the dogbone mount from VW and they weren't too steep.

I've gone a completely different route to most with my clutch setup and I cant realy give you any advise as I've only ever used an OEM clutch. There's loads of clutch info knocking about though.

Are the stock conrod bearings with that oil hole? Is it necessary to get rifle drilled rods for BT?

Last edited:
Are the stock conrod bearings with that oil hole? Is it necessary to get rifle drilled rods for BT?

Stock bearings have the oil hole and the rods are rifle drilled to allow better lubrication to the small end.

Rifle drilled rods are not "necessary" for a BT build but forged rods are. Some people have noticed more noise and sometime wear from using non drilled rods.

Just a little update, been a while waiting as the engineering company had to wait a while for oversize bearings to arrive.

But finally picked up my bits today, freshened up crank all journals polished and big end ones regrinded 0.7mm too.
New Rods fitted ready for installation.
New oil pump and all bearings.

b165044e.jpg

Garage are hoping to have it all done by Friday this week as they aren't too busy.

So hopefully it's all good and I'm back in the money muncher. New TIP from bill, new DS2 bulbs and a load of cleaning to do as its been sat around for almost a month in the garage.

Then a trip to organise a trip to bill to get the map looked at.

News...

Picked the car up about an hour ago. Now sitting on the drive looking like a minger as its not been washed in 2 months and interior is dusty as an afghans carpet.

Nice gentle drive home was a mission just wanted to hoof it. But I didn't, pulling like a train again and feels more solid than ever.

Really forgot how to drive it too, going to take some getting used too again.

Am praying it's the end of my problems for a while. Got parts stacked up in the room ready for weekend. Including a full valet!

Now then, what I want to now is why I had all these problems? Is it because the map is ****? Boost gauge peeks at about 25/26 when giving it full beans. IIRC been a while since I have. But now have forged Rods so surely it's safe?

I don't have access to vcds to do logs. So thinking a trip to bill would be the best thing to do?

Loving life again, had a whole in my heart for too long LOL. Just have a huge hole in the wallet, but that I can cope with.

Just had a new turbo too...do not want that happening.

What's the average price for dyno with adjustments? Any idea?

Bargain. Yeah it is worth doing for a peace of mind more than anything.

Literally had my fingers crossed during the entire journey home. And will be everytime until I given the words, 'your car is running fine'