Another one gone

Yep, good locks, bomb blast film on big windows / patio doors, and a decent front door like a Rockdoor or a Solidoor, and you're pretty much set. No ones getting in without putting in a lot of effort and making a lot of noise.

An ultimate Rockdoor is about £1200, a full set of three keyed alike 3* antisnap diamond grade locks is about £130, and a big window can have its glass armoured up to the eyeballs for about £200. Up until I added all this you have broken into my house with a wet five pound note.

Aftermarket films are ok if you have to retrofit to an existing window, but speccing 6.4mm laminate as part of the double glazed unit is a better option.

Rockdoor is a good product and has a strong following in the trade. The designs are a little limited though and the use of carbon fibre in the construction is a bit gimmicky. It is ultimately a foam filled door and lacks a certain "weight" to it.

Endurance doors are made using a cross laminated timber slab, so it has a really solid feel and provides a reassuring "thud" when closing. There have a huge range of styles to choose from and is a very premium product at a fair price.

I really couldn't recommend the Solidor product, which is based on first hand extensive experience. I wouldn't go into any more detail than this as they trawl the web for bad comments like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anti snap locks are reasonably cheap and take just a few minutes to fit. So long as you can work a screwdriver you can fit them.

You all think the multi point latching of doors means they're secure. Sadly not, once the lock barrel has been snapped the thieves can open your door. It takes a few seconds to break in with almost no noise.

http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/about/public/cylinder-snapping/

Never mind if you don't have an appealing car on the drive you should replace lock barrels any way. The best are Avocet ABS locks. Cost? around £39 even cheaper on eBay.

https://www.abs-secure.co.uk/

So fit decent locks and if you leave your car outside for goodness sake buy a Disklok. Takes seconds to fit and is so difficult to remove. I know as a friend I was out with lost his keys......

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/?gclid=CNKYt5-o8dECFcad7QodwcoDkQ

Come on guys take a few simple easy to do precautions and let's see a few less of these types of posts.

Reactions: richinsoton, davc, GSB and 1 other person
Avocet ABS is very good. I have some and they are nonstandard enough to confuse and confound the average thief whose learned how to bump a Yale cylinder by watching YouTube.

Brisant Ultion locks look more traditional but were designed by the same guy, and have the same accreditation. The key difference (excuse the pun) is that the ultion isn't fussy about which way round it goes in the door, and leaving a key inside doesn't mess with the anti snap mechanism.

So, they're easier to buy, and there's a tiny advantage in the mechanism. If in doubt, do what I've done, and fit both types in the same door.

Also check out the Avocet ATK range, which are supposed to be very good too.
Rockdoor is a good product and has a strong following in the trade. The designs are a little limited though and the use of carbon fibre in the construction is a bit gimmicky. It is ultimately a foam filled door and lacks a certain "weight" to it.

Endurance doors are made using a cross laminated timber slab, so it has a really solid feel and provides a reassuring "thud" when closing. There have a huge range of styles to choose from and is a very premium product at a fair price.

My Rockdoor has a very pleasing heft to it and required two guys to lift it into place. It certainly doesn't feel lightweight, despite the foam and carbon fibre (try breaking a set of carbon mtb handlebars if you need validation of this particular gimmick). In fact it feels very solid indeed, more so than the solid timber and steel faced door it replaced, although I do have the optional steel mesh in mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: davc and pburv
Obviously too late for you but handles can be treated as entirely sacrificial

I disagree. An extra layer of security cannot be a bad thing and presents more of a challenge to the lowlifes.

Reactions: voorhees
I disagree. An extra layer of security cannot be a bad thing and presents more of a challenge to the lowlifes.

Adding another door in front of your door would add EVEN MORE security but at extra cost. The point I'm making is that you you could save yourself a few quid by not going for high security handles, as an intruder simply isn't going to get through a 3* cylinder.

Avocet ABS is very good. I have some and they are nonstandard enough to confuse and confound the average thief whose learned how to bump a Yale cylinder by watching YouTube.

Brisant Ultion locks look more traditional but were designed by the same guy, and have the same accreditation. The key difference (excuse the pun) is that the ultion isn't fussy about which way round it goes in the door, and leaving a key inside doesn't mess with the anti snap mechanism.

So, they're easier to buy, and there's a tiny advantage in the mechanism. If in doubt, do what I've done, and fit both types in the same door.

Also check out the Avocet ATK range, which are supposed to be very good too.

My Rockdoor has a very pleasing heft to it and required two guys to lift it into place. It certainly doesn't feel lightweight, despite the foam and carbon fibre (try breaking a set of carbon mtb handlebars if you need validation of this particular gimmick). In fact it feels very solid indeed, more so than the solid timber and steel faced door it replaced, although I do have the optional steel mesh in mine.

Glad you like you Rockdoor, I'm not going to pick holes in your purchase :rock:

Brisant Ultion is a less "fussy" cylinder as it's been designed to make a locksmith's life easier. They are modular and can be re-pinned in the back of a van.

If they want to get in they will. But most thieves are wary of making too much noise if they cant get through the door they'll get in through the windows. So you can fit high security doors and bars on your windows but for most of us this is a step too far.

My comments about replacing your standard pathetically easy to snap standard cylinder and using a disklok are both easy and relatively inexpensive to do.

My son's boss's house was broken into last week. They were trying to steal his new pick up truck off his drive. They snapped the cylinder lock in his back door. They were disturbed when his two year old son started to cry and fled the scene. They were looking for his keys which he normally leaves in the kitchen but on this occasion he's left them in hos trouser pocket.

His wife was so traumatised by it all they are now moving house.

A standard cylinder lock is shown in the attached picture. You can see how pathetically thin the section is they need to break. Avocet ABS locks have a sacrificial section to prevent this.

I've now changed all the lock cylinders in my home for very little money.

IMG 1115

Reactions: voorhees and richinsoton
From reading Steeve's posts I think I know what I'll be shopping for at the weekend. Thanks for bothering to post!. :respekt:

Reactions: Jassyo06
I personally think it would be a good idea to have a security sticky thread on here.

Reactions: rasA4, Jassyo06, Jamie_88 and 1 other person
Well another s3 has gone. My house was broken into last night and they've took the car with the keys. It's a 66plate white s3 saloon. Gutted is an understatement. Reg is YC66 NNX not that that'll be much use as no doubt it'll be on fake plates. Stolen from East Yorkshire so I'm guessing it'll be headed to one of the major cities; Leeds, Bradford, Manchester etc.

Be safe people. Protect your cars best you can.

Do you mind saying where you are? I'm in the East Riding also. PM me if you don't want to say publicly

Some interesting comments from the chap in the video as well.
Yeah, I also looked at some of the locks he recommended and they were just as easy to get in with the right tools! I don't think I'll bother, if they want it they will get it regardless! GAP is in place so what will be will be, it could just as easily be a smack over the head in a car park and they take it there....where do you stop???

Reactions: Tom.H
Don't be put off by being able to pick these cylinders. All locks can be picked

No burglar is going to spend that amount of time in the dark trying to get by it. It increases their chances of being rumbled or caught.

They will either snap it, walk straight in if it's a crappy one or force or smash a window/kick in a door.

Reactions: rams_s3
Quick update from me, insurance is going through now. The value is going to be given based on market value and within reasonable financial sense (taking age, mileage, spec of car). I've now changed all my locks to antisnap, bought a cctv system, alarms and sensors on ground floor windows and doors and a huge floodlight style security light on my drive. I'm still undecided on what car to get as my replacement. Love S3's but I also love my family and sleeping soundly. Depending on how safe we all feel with these new security measures in place, we'll then decided if we get another S car or just a nice diesel that's maybe not as desirable to theives.

Anyone not spending £20-40 quid on each lock and changing them to anti snap ones is brave, foolish or both. Get them bought!

Reactions: voorhees, TDI-line, richinsoton and 6 others
Don't be put off by being able to pick these cylinders. All locks can be picked

No burglar is going to spend that amount of time in the dark trying to get by it. It increases their chances of being rumbled or caught.

They will either snap it, walk straight in if it's a crappy one or force or smash a window/kick in a door.

Quite correct.

If a man has the skills to be able to pick my locks, he has a trade with which he can make a great deal more money and enjoy a far longer career than he will get pinching cars. Locksmiths charge a fortune, and its highly likely his car is nicer than mine anyway. He is not the problem. The people breaking into houses to steal cars are desperate thieves, and they want fast, easy, noise free. What they get at my house is slow, highly exposed, recorded on cctv, and overlooked by lots of vigilant neighbours.

Essentially, your home protection is a variant of the old tale about two wildlife photographers filming lions, and one changing his desert boots for a pair of trainers when the lions get a bit rowdy; "you'll never outrun a lion, why bother?". "F*%k the lion, as long as I outrun you I'm fine." If my house is tougher to break into than my neighbours, then it's easier to nick my neighbours Evoque or the FocusRS across the street, and those are the cars that'll go missing.

You only have to hold them back for a few crucial extra seconds, and 99% of them will bottle it and run. It's the easy one-kick papier mache doors with locks made out of dairylea, and the glass doors that fall to a million pieces with a well aimed stone that they love and are expecting to find. Put anything stronger in place and the adrenaline spikes, the paranoia goes haywire, and the ******** drops out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06, Jcbmally, TDI-line and 9 others
Another quality retort there Grant.

Glad the insurance company is playing ball Rams, hope you don't let the lowlife stop you getting into another S3 buddy.

Reactions: Jassyo06, TDI-line and GSB
Very well put GSB.

Glad you are getting payed out OP.

Reactions: rams_s3 and GSB
I'm worried , sounds like Grant's tried it in a previous life and has lost something on the floor .

Reactions: Jassyo06
Quick update from me, insurance is going through now. The value is going to be given based on market value and within reasonable financial sense (taking age, mileage, spec of car). I've now changed all my locks to antisnap, bought a cctv system, alarms and sensors on ground floor windows and doors and a huge floodlight style security light on my drive. I'm still undecided on what car to get as my replacement. Love S3's but I also love my family and sleeping soundly. Depending on how safe we all feel with these new security measures in place, we'll then decided if we get another S car or just a nice diesel that's maybe not as desirable to theives.

Anyone not spending £20-40 quid on each lock and changing them to anti snap ones is brave, foolish or both. Get them bought!

GSB says it all :iagree:

Forget that, whats point updating your security if you going to buy a Fiesta diesel :friendly wink:

I understand where you coming from but dont be put off having another S3, you have the security in place now so middle finger these scumbags and just get yourself another. My rs was stolen but did it put me off having another?...did it ****. I get where you saying until you feel safe again and it will take some time but if anyone is going to try and take your next S3 you have plenty of deterrents in the way. Some just stick a camera up and think that'll do but we all have seen the vids of cctv catching thieves take their cars. Disklok to go with the rest of your measures and you are sorted. They wont hang around with these barriers in the way.

I personally think it would be a good idea to have a security sticky thread on here.
Anyone wish to start one go ahead and I'll sticky it but we don't need it to become a 'how to' threads in members posting solutions to security measures,I know its on the internet how to do stuff but we don't want to make it easy for them.
It is very much like protecting your pride and joy….the more you make it a ball ache for thieves the more they will move on.

Reactions: steeve
Anyone wish to start one go ahead and I'll sticky it but we don't need it to become a 'how to' threads in members posting solutions to security measures,I know its on the internet how to do stuff but we don't want to make it easy for them.
It is very much like protecting your pride and joy….the more you make it a ball ache for thieves the more they will move on.
Absolutely agree, there's no point posting how to get round the most recent developments in home security, it just undermines what we're trying to achieve. However it is worth highlighting just how easy it is to circumvent security 'solutions' that are commonly installed by home builders and then never ever upgraded by owners. Give me a few days, and I'll write one up.

Reactions: richinsoton and voorhees
Just noticed this morning that it looks like someone has had a go at my door trying to get in. There is a mark on the frame and the door where it looks like they have tried to put something between the frame and door to get it open.

Door obviously done it's job and didn't budge, looks pretty recent though so gonna sort out the CCTV and alarm for the house.

Coded padlock on a drive bollard is what I'm going for.

Reactions: richinsoton and Milnesafc
Do people still use the Blackjax systems these days? - this was where you had a button inside the car and had to put in a code everytime the door was opened

Do people still use the Blackjax systems these days? - this was where you had a button inside the car and had to put in a code everytime the door was opened
It's still around I believe.

The Autowatch Ghost pretty much does the same thing. The only downside is if the scrotes are brazen enough to come back in to your house to demand the code, you are fecked unless you are prepared to go at them.

That changes everything and aggravated burglary gets them a decent stint in prison if caught. If you kill them first, then your actions most likely won't be held against you.

The CPS now takes a dim view on aggravated burglary and killing burglars in such circumstances is more likely to lead to the homeowner being exonerated. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

For most, having Gap insurance eliminates these variables.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how much bottle you have and how far you're prepared to go.

I have GAP to fall back on but if I was ever in a position to dish out retribution against them, believe me I wouldn't hold back.

Reactions: voorhees, xpoweruk, rob261 and 2 others

Friend of mine does, meant his RS4 didn't get too far down the road before the thieves legged it. They were very crafty with how they stole the car, won't say how as don't want to give any ideas (obviously not meant to any genuine members on here)

Disklok is relatively inexpensive way of protecting your car wherever you leave. You cant take a lockable bollard with you.............

I used to be a motor-sport photographer, mainly rallies and were were on a national event in N Yorkshire. It was well dark by the time we got back to the place where the car had been left. Only to find my mate had lost his car keys. We had managed to get into the car with a wire coat hanger borrowed from the nearest house which was a mile away! But then had to wait two hours or so for a mobile automotive lock smith. He quickly had a new key made, getting the code from the manufacturer over the phone. The biggest problem was removing the disllok from the steering wheel.

I have one in my boot and use it depending where the car is left. It's a highly portable and visible deterrent. Comes in a good bag with velcro on it to stop it from beating your car to death when its driven 'spiritedly' shall we say.

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/?gclid=CIDcnMaf_NECFam17QodxegIoA

Reactions: richinsoton
won't say how as don't want to give any ideas (obviously not meant to any genuine members on here)
Please can you pm me the details, I'm intrigued

Btw I'm not a car thief lol.

I was thinking the same please if you wouldn't mind? Can see I'm a genuine member from my posts
Please can you pm me the details, I'm intrigued

Btw I'm not a car thief lol.

Will pm you both.

Reactions: azibux1 and davc
Just noticed this morning that it looks like someone has had a go at my door trying to get in. There is a mark on the frame and the door where it looks like they have tried to put something between the frame and door to get it open.

Door obviously done it's job and didn't budge, looks pretty recent though so gonna sort out the CCTV and alarm for the house.

Another Sunday night/Monday morning attempt by the looks of it.
3am ish Monday morning seems to be most popular time.

I saw some shady looking sorts pull up to our drive (cul de sac) about 9pm Sunday in a heavily tinted black Audi and were looking round (the car was in the garage). They turned round and did the same again....then shot off.
I didn't get the best nights sleep!

I went with handles and locks both as a belt and braces approach and the fact that the handles are cheaper than the lock barrels. If anyone mullers me handle it'll cost me less to replace!

Reactions: richinsoton and davc