Another day, another noise - any ideas?

Geoff-R

Reaction score
Another day, another noise on my car. Sometimes I wish it weren't my daily so I could park it up and deal with the problem when I have a bit more time but I really need to get to the bottom of this one as it's affecting my use of the car.

Basically the problem came on very quickly. Under hard acceleration there is a cracking/banging noise, it definitely sounds like metal on metal, coming from the front end of the car. When I'm accelerating it feels like the noise is coming from the front drivers side. I can almost feel the resinence of the noise down in the driver side footwell, it's quite odd. The noise starts from about 2k revs onwards, I basically have to let off and change gear as it sounds like something's going to break! The problem happens in every gear under a certain amount of load and doesn't appear to affect the car it's just the awful noise. I may have to try and get a video of the sound as my description may not be good enough.

Shortly after that noise began another one popped in to annoy me. When going over bumps or slight marks in the road I get a popping noise coming from the suspension, it's like a hollow thud, very hard to describe. As with the above noise I can almost feel the resinence of the noise in the driver side footwell which leads me to think the two noises are possibly linked.

Anyone have any ideas on the above? They're really bugging me and whilst I had a quick look under the car on the weekend I can't seem to find anything that points to where the noise is coming from.

That did cross my mind. I suppose the knock I hear over bumps will be a worn joint if not suspension? Any way to ensure it is the joint before I splash out? Judging by past history and paperwork I have with the car there is nothing to suggest the driveshafts have ever been replaced. With the car being 9 years old and amassing 140k miles there is every chance they could be shot.