Alternators

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
what amp alternator is on the s3 had the battery light come on on way home now it won't start.
Anyone used the cheap eBay ones from Germany they seem to be half the price than gsf and eurocarparts

120amp....
https://www.gsfcarparts.com/903vg0543

WOW45 discount code for this weekend + 120 back for the exchange of old unit..

...makes this one £97.26

If you click collect in branch then just take yours in when you pick up... pay at the counter... thats what I did with the wifes starter motor last week..

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Mav190sline and shaunevo6
I think I paid £98 outright last year from Euros, no exchange, click and collect.

Ok cheers will alternator throw up a fault code as scanned it with the a generic odb2 reader and no fault codes

Yes, normally, check the voltage with car running, you should be getting about 14.4volts.

Do I need to remove the tensioner to get the alternator off

I've managed to remove it but how do you get it out does the inlet mani have to come off

Yeah managed to squeeze it out hard work tho just hope I ain't damaged any hoses

After putting everything back together I was left with this can't remember where it went any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
No that's all bolted up . But your right in that it bolts with the tensioner but now it's all back together I remembered it was in between the bolt heads and tensioner but it didn't look like it was doing anything I didn't undo anything from that nut so I don't really want to undo it all to put it back if I don't have to

Tensioner goes on first, then that bracket and lastly the chargepipe bracket... if you put it on first then the tensioner the tensioner will tighten at an angle and damage the serpentine belt

<tuffty/>

Awh right so it has to go back on then? I put tensioner on the the charge pipe bracket. Was is it for anyway?

As long as the tensioner went on 1st it should have tightened up straight still?

Awh right so it has to go back on then? I put tensioner on the the charge pipe bracket. Was is it for anyway?

Its to secure the metal coolant pipe that goes off to the expansion tank... if not secured then engine vibrations can make the brazed join fracture and leak where it connects to the metal coolant pipe that come out the back of the water pump housing in the block

<tuffty/>

Il have to order a clip for it then as nothing was attached to the bracket cheers

AGU doesn't have the charge pipe bracket there. Mine has the coolant bracket first, then the tensioner. Is that wrong for an AGU?

AGU doesn't have the charge pipe bracket there. Mine has the coolant bracket first, then the tensioner. Is that wrong for an AGU?

If I understand what you have said then its wrong for any 1.8t... the tensioner needs to fit flush to the large alloy bracket... its secured by three bolts... if there is anything between the alloy block bracket and the tensioner then it misaligns the tensioner roller....

In the case of the S3's bracket pictured in the post earlier then this would allow the tensioner to sit at an angle once the bottom bolt is tightened and cause serpentine belt wear and potentially failure of the belt... there is normally a whining noise evident when the tensioner has been incorrectly fitted

<tuffty/>

what amp alternator is on the s3 had the battery light come on on way home now it won't start.
Anyone used the cheap eBay ones from Germany they seem to be half the price than gsf and eurocarparts
Used the 90 one from euro pal works a treat