Aircon help

jolly14

Reaction score
Just a quickie about my aircon, its not coming out cold and as someone said it maybe the motorised flaps not opening but it sounds as though they are, i only bought the car 2 years ago when it was regassed but i'm not sure how long it lasts before it needs doing again.

Thanks Jay

They say every year mate.

Thanks for your reply, i had a b5 1.8t for 3 years and it was always ice cold so just thought they lasted quite a while. Do you think that it just needs gassing up.

Many thanks Jay

Run it on VAGCOM to see if there are any fault codes, heater flaps are prone to failing (2 of mine went this year) but would recommend an aircon service every 2 years (regas and deodourised).... also had a high pressure switch go as well.....

sound like it just needs a re-gas make sure fans coming on an air con pump kicking in

sound like it just needs a re-gas make sure fans coming on an air con pump kicking in

Hi Vorney,

Where abouts is the aircon pump so i can have a listen.

Cheers Jay

Last edited:
You should hear the fan cut in and there is a slight drop in the revs.Regas is the best option but get it leak tested cos if the arent any it can go a few years without regas.VAGCOM is supposed to show low gas

Mmmmmmmmmm now i dont know what to do for the best, i can't really afford to do both at the moment as its probs going to cost £60 ish for each. I think that i'll get it gassed up and see what happens if its leaking will i be able to hear it or see it.

Many thanks Jay

A reputable aircon place will test it for you to let you know if the refrigerant level is low. If it is they'll suck the old stuff out, and then pressure test it for leaks before recharging it.

Bear in mind the B6 aircon isn't the greatest, and will usually blow a lot colder on LO than it ever does on 18c in my experience.

Mine was a bit iffy until I changed the high pressure switch, now it's ice cold.....

Its on the LHS of the condenser radiator tucked behind the nearside headlight. You should be able to swap it without too much hassle, and they're not expensive, £30 max I think. You might lose some refrigerant pressure, but I'm not totally sure.