Aftermarket induction kit

Mazza s3

Reaction score
What's the best aftermarket induction kit. For standard/stage 1 map?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

What's the best aftermarket induction kit. For standard/stage 1 map?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Just get the revo good for stage 2+ if your gona do it do it once i was thinking over sized ram air but i dont regret paying premium for a revo sounds amazing and not to abnoxious

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mechanic69
I've just received an oversized Ramair, it is quite nice.
Not as noisy as I thought it might be. A few nice whooshes when you back off the throttle. Not very intrusive at all. Perhaps it is louder on an S3...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I had the Ramair on my S3 and with the resonator delete it was just too noisy for me, so I removed it.
A few days later I was remapped at R-tech with stock intake and stock exhaust (minus the resonator) and made 316bhp and 338lb-ft and that was after it was dialled back from a staggering 334bhp and 344lb-ft during the initial testing.
Those are very much Stage 2 figures on stock hardware, so unless you are going Stage 2+ don't waste your money (unless noise is your main goal).

Just my opinion.

Reactions: paddy
I had the Ramair on my S3 and with the resonator delete it was just too noisy for me, so I removed it.
A few days later I was remapped at R-tech with stock intake and stock exhaust (minus the resonator) and made 316bhp and 338lb-ft and that was after it was dialled back from a staggering 334bhp and 344lb-ft during the initial testing.
Those are very much Stage 2 figures on stock hardware, so unless you are going Stage 2+ don't waste your money (unless noise is your main goal).

Just my opinion.
Was the intake that noisy? Or just the exhaust?

Was the intake that noisy? Or just the exhaust?

The exhaust got louder and made a drone that it didn't have before, but there was also a noise from the induction which got irritating for me.
I'm driving to Scotland in a couple of weeks and there is no way I could have coped with the extra noise on that journey, but I'm not in my 20's anymore!

Reactions: paddy and chris11122
The exhaust got louder and made a drone that it didn't have before, but there was also a noise from the induction which got irritating for me.
I'm driving to Scotland in a couple of weeks and there is no way I could have coped with the extra noise on that journey, but I'm not in my 20's anymore!
After fitting my revo induction kit i noticed my exhaust got way louder too which I wasnt expecting. I knew id have induction noises but didn't think it would be relevant to my exhaust note( mid silincer delete) im still in my 20's so i won't complain though

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and chris11122
Nothing wrong with a bit of noise and if it is tuned properly you could say it is like music.
I am considering having the WRC pipe modification to my BCS Powervalve. Maybe I’m going deaf but I’m in my 60s!!

Reactions: S. and e9_mustii
Nothing wrong with a bit of noise and if it is tuned properly you could say it is like music.
I am considering having the WRC pipe modification to my BCS Powervalve. Maybe I’m going deaf but I’m in my 60s!!
Hows the powervalve @80-100mph+ in other words how are long journey drives does it do your head in and drone ?

Hows the powervalve @80-100mph+ in other words how are long journey drives does it do your head in and drone ?

The whole idea about the Powervalve is that when you are cruising and therefore not creating much boost the valve is largely closed and so the exhaust gas is routed through the back box and so no drone. Most of the exhaust gas leaves via the right tail pipe. When on boost, the valve opens and the exhaust takes the less restrictive path avoiding the back box and straight out of the left tail pipe.
If you look at the pipe work on some of their videos you can identify what happens.

Reactions: samuelh_888 and Daveyonthemove
The whole idea about the Powervalve is that when you are cruising and therefore not creating much boost the valve is largely closed and so the exhaust gas is routed through the back box and so no drone. Most of the exhaust gas leaves via the right tail pipe. When on boost, the valve opens and the exhaust takes the less restrictive path avoiding the back box and straight out of the left tail pipe.
If you look at the pipe work on some of their videos you can identify what happens.

I really dont get this since the std system is non drone, non restrictive and not noisy. I just think this is a complication waiting to go wrong and a nightmare for mapping as its variable via boost. I think its gimmicky TBH.
A lot of this after market stuff is sold with unsubstantiated claims, Revo pretty much say a CAI is good for a stg1 but as Dave says above its unlikely to make the slightest difference.

I really dont get this since the std system is non drone, non restrictive and not noisy. I just think this is a complication waiting to go wrong and a nightmare for mapping as its variable via boost. I think its gimmicky TBH.
My thoughts exactly plus the fact at 70+ mph you going to be making boost regardless because of the rev range opposed to having a remote valve when you can be abnoxious if u like or everybody's favourite neighbour in the mornings

Reactions: paddy
99% of improvement will come from the down pipe, both power and noise. I was stopped by an old guy when i pulled up outside the Chinese last week who said my car sounded superb. He was 82, and said he held the speeding record in the 1960's for years, on the M1 at 187mph ish in a GT40 engined Cobra while working as a F1 test driver for Colin Chapman :)

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and e9_mustii
99% of improvement will come from the down pipe, both power and noise. I was stopped by an old guy when i pulled up outside the Chinese last week who said my car sounded superb. He was 82, and said he held the speeding record in the 1960's for years, on the M1 at 187mph ish in a GT40 while working as a F1 test driver for Colin Chapman :)
No pic no proof bud i really wana believe you shouldve got an autographed photo with him lol quite an achievement if that true but then he is probably the reason we have speed and avg. Speed cameras now

We will never know, his wife looked like she had heard it all before :)

A lot of this after market stuff is sold with unsubstantiated claims, Revo pretty much say a CAI is good for a stg1 but as Dave says above its unlikely to make the slightest difference.

As I understand it, the BCS valve is not variable via boost in the true sense. What I mean is that when a certain boost threshold is reached, the valve opens and that is it until you take your foot off again and the boost level drops below the threshold once more. The latest version of the valve has a small port in it to allow a small flow of exhaust gas through even when closed allowing some slowing down burbles to be heard. So the amount of opening is not dependant on boost level. So at tootling around levels of boost the valve stays closed and so the system is quiet but you know it is there being slighly more bassy than before. However, when you put your foot down the threshold level is reached the valve opens and away you go. Not sure on the boost level, maybe 8psi? The quality of work on the system is excellent in comparison to some manufacturers and BCS no longer do a non valved system for the S3 8P.
As you know, I had the APR downpipe as I wanted to stay oem in appearance and I had the downpipe fitted by a company that features highly in tuning circles and the very experienced chap who applied the APR software felt that the standard catback was holding things back a bit at the top end of the rev range when on the dyno. It still felt good to me! This is backed up if you follow the RTech channel where comments are made about the standard catback having a similar effect. The tuner suggested I fitted a Scorpion catback to ease the flow.
As I will probably go down the TTE 480 route, I wanted no restriction and a 3.5" diameter downpipe as well so I went down the Powervalve route.
My son had the 3" BCS downpipe and sports cat only fitted to his TTS retaining the standard catback. The rest of the hardware was top notch stage 2+ equipment. It did not make the RTech stage 2+ figures for bhp and torque seen with a full free flowing exhaust system.
The APR downpipe is quieter than other downpipes as it has the resonator installed for 4wd cars. Interestingly, the APR downpipe for fwd cars does not have the resonator.

I think with all of this, we all make our own decisions of what kit to install and it will be rare to see two tuned cars with exactly the same equipment installed.

Last edited:
Most of the quietness in the APR downpipe is because its cast and not thin wall tube. I achieved 381 bhp with the std cat back and APR said the reason they dont produce a cat back themselves for the 8p is because the std system is not restrictive below stg3
I am sure the BCS is an excellent replacement and i would look at one if the price comes down should i need to replace what i have but TBH the power? valve puts me off.

We all have different wants and needs from our car's, so one persons lists of mods won't suit another persons needs etc.
Personally, I like having a nice quiet exhaust for when I want to crawl through slow traffic or arrive somewhere 'respectable' but also have the bonus of hearing the exhaust when I'm on a B road and wringing the cars neck for the sheer fun of it.

For me, the resonator delete does this to my needs. I'm sure the BCS would too, but the price increase is too much to swallow for a 13yr old car, regardless of how much I enjoy it.
Adding the Induction kit ruined the drive for me personally, the noise from the induction was off putting and the exhaust was loud constantly. It Droned at most speeds and that was something I always wanted to avoid considering I cover 15k+ miles a year.
Seeing the potential of my cars engine on stock hardware clarifies to me that most mods aren't needed to get good gains from a remap, and if you start doing one hardware change, you normally have to do others to benefit from any of them. Then you are spending lots of cash.

Reactions: Mazza s3
Agree , my system with stock cat back is no louder than std really at 40mph or 80mph cruising but howls like a superbike when you boot it. Its also the reason i spent extra after quite a bit of research and went for the VWR intake as its fully enclosed taking air from outside the engine bay so again quiet.

If you want noise thats great but its not necessary and doesnt =power. :)

Reactions: Daveyonthemove