adjusting xenon auto lights

Jambo26

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently fitted coilovers on my A3 black edition with auto headlights,

i have been out tonight in the dark on country roads and my head lights are poor on dipped beam. they seam to be shinning too low.

is there anything I can do to recal the sensors or adjust the headlights within vcds?

My bi-xenons seemed lower than before after changing a bulb so i just adjusted them with a torx screwdriver as on normal cars.
Now when i turn on the xenons i see them auto adjusting higher to the set position

give that a try?

had a quick look on vagcom today and found that you can learn a new basic setting. I learned the new basic setting. just need to take it down come country back roads to test.

Reactions: s3_trev
Spot on. You learn the new basic setting with VCDS. I had to do it as well and it made a big improvement as my lights were too low also after lowering.

had a quick look on vagcom today and found that you can learn a new basic setting. I learned the new basic setting. just need to take it down come country back roads to test.

Mine are crap on low beam can't see a thing after fitting lowered springs. Which module do I need to look in to reset the auto levelling? Any tips on how to do it?

i suppose its worth doing a new basic setting anyway,just to make sure all is spot on.....do you think so guys?

Can't remeber exactly but it's something to do with lights I think. It's down near the bottom in the selection window.

I just went to basic settings and change the. Drop down bar to 2nd option.

All so I make sure I was on level ground.

Haven't been out in the dark since doing mine yet as I'm away with work. So don't know 100% of it's cured it but fingers crossed.

When I lowered my car I done the reset via vcds which raised them slightly but I still had to adjust them manually at the headlamp.
Now they're great again.
The vcds reset just resets the stored position and can make a difference but if your lowered you'll need to alter it manually.

Found this on Ross tech wiki

Audi A3 (8P) Headlight Aim Control (Xenon Plus)

Contents
[hide]
Coding
  • 0000001 = Audi A3 (8P) Front-Wheel-Drive (FWD)
  • 0000002 = Audi A3 (8P) All-Wheel-Drive (AWD)
  • 0000003 = Audi A6 (4F) with Steel Suspension
  • 0000004 = Audi A6 (4F) with Air Suspension
  • 0000005 = Audi A4 (8E)
  • 0000006 = Audi A8 (4E)
  • 0000007 = Audi Q7 (4L) with Steel Suspension
  • 0000008 = Audi Q7 (4L) with Air Suspension
  • 0000009 = Audi TT (8J) with Steel Suspension and Front-Wheel-Drive (FWD)
  • 0000010 = Audi TT (8J) with Steel Suspension and All-Wheel-Drive (AWD)
  • 0000011 = Audi TT (8J) with Magnetic Ride

Adaptation
Channel 010: Tourist Solution
When driving in countries where driving is performed on the opposite side as in the native country the headlights must be changed over to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic. When active/enabled the Fault Code 02988 will be stored.

• 0 = Disabled
  • 1 = Enabled
Note: Only supported for 8P0-907-357-C @ 0020 or newer! Earlier versions require a mechanical Adjustment as described in the Factory Repair Manual.

Basic Setting
Headlight Adjustment
[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]

• The meas. block field now shows "Wait" and should switch to "Adjust Headlights" then (this may take up to 10 seconds).
  • Adjust the headlights using their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The adjustment should now be learned.
[Done, Go Back]
Don't forget to check/clear fault codes afterwards.
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

It looks like the lights don't automatically adjust, you still have to manually adjust them with the screw then learn the value?

Is this right?

Maybe this works haven't tried it yet?

Here is the procedure to adjust the vertical aim of OEM Xenons

1. Park the car on a level surface, 10 to 20 feet from a wall if possible. Connect the VAG-COMas usual, with both ignition and xenons on.
2. Select control module 55 - H. Light Range. This is somewhat hidden under "Less Common Modules"
3. Take note of the value in the Soft Coding cell. This is the headlight level as set by the dealer when they performed the PDI. If you manage to muck things up you can always go back to this default value
4. Click on "Recode - 07" and you will be able to modify this soft coding value. A smaller value aims the lights higher, and lower value aims the lights lower. Click on "Do it!" to see the lights move up or down.
5. Don't over do it. I suggest that you choose a value that still has a gentle downwards slope to avoid blinding other people on the road. I changed my original value from 00060 to 00020 and it's perfect.
6. Now you need to recalibrate the self-leveling reference point, or else you will throw a code the next time you start the car.
7. To do this, select "Basic Settings - 04" and scroll up to "Group 001". In a few seconds the first cell will change from "wait" to "set". Now scroll to "Group 002" and wait until the controller says "Learned"
8. Enjoy your improved visibility!

and this

The service manual specifies the use of a special target on a specially flat floor etc, but if you have a surface flat enough to not roll on, that will do. You don't need the target to do a differential adjustment - ie 'up a bit', or 'up a wee bit less'
icon_smile.gif

Backstory: I found my headlights pointing up into the car in front's rearview, which is not good. You should see the upper edge of the beam at around the level of the rear reg plate of an average car in front, at about 30 yards. Basically I adjusted mine once, went out and tried that and then adjusted them again and I was done. You could equally park far enough away from a wall on a flat surface and do it that way.

Park up and let the lights adjust to what they think is 'level'
Pop the bonnet and look for the white inner adjustment knob on each headlight - those do the height adjustment. The white combined allan and x-headed screwdriver socket on top is what you want to turn - a philips head will do - (the knob at the back will then turn on a worm screw and make the adjustment)

The left-right adjustment screws are on the wing-side of each headlight - one is under the air intake.

Plug in vagcom check for any DTCs and then enter the Xenon Range menu 55 in the Common tab of the Select Control Module menu. Then click Basic Settings and type 001 into the top left box.
It'll say 'Wait' and then once the headlights are in adjustment mode I think it says 'Adjust now' or suchlike and then you can go and twiddle the knobs on the headlights till you get a nice pair of images from the two headlights at the level you want and with the angles (Please correct me if I have this wrong, oh ye of greater knowledge)...like this

____ ______
\______\_______

with the same spacing as your headlights, between the angles.
When you are happy you NEED to type 002 into that same box in vagcom.

Now go on the road and figure out how much you still need to adjust them and repeat until happy. You may not even get your fingers dirty!

Seems overly complicated tbh. I used the following to do mine, and I didnt need to touch them manually either, this fixed them.

[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The meas. block field now shows "Wait" and should switch to "Adjust Headlights" then (this may take up to 10 seconds).
Adjust the headlights using their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The adjustment should now be learned.
[Done, Go Back]
Don't forget to check/clear fault codes afterwards.
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Reactions: martinivw, Ash187 and mechanic69
Oh dear seem to have ******** mine up!!!!

Tried the procedure as stated and wasn't sure it worked so did it a couple of times more and the module is throwing two codes which I can't get rid of.

I tried a factory reset but it won't let me do the basic adaptation and it says theres no learned values

Any ideas how to reset this???

Reactions: martinivw
Strange. What happens if you click ON/OFF/NEXT?

Also what year is your car? Mine is 2009, so if yours is newer maybe there is a different process.

Nothing. I tried some of my the output tests and they all said controller won't allow it. Can VCDS trash the controller?

If I knew where it was I would unplug and see if that helps

No idea mate sorry. Id say unplugging the battery would probably be the handier option!

Wow pretty shocked you needed to order a new module! Sorry to hear that! I hope you get it all sorted mate.

can't believe VCDS ****** the controller myself, but I was running the output tests and nothing was happening for ages so closed it instead of cancelling it properly, then the controller went non-responsive. then i couldn't reset the levelling and it keeps throwing two error codes. Couldn't see another way off sorting it!

cost 34 quid on ebay.......watch this space

Ross tech suggested it was because I was using a virtual machine on a macbook but I tried a windows laptop and it made no difference, waiting for the controller to come next so will try again this weekend!

Well it was the controller! VCDS killed it. Controller is just to the left of the steering column under the dash

Swapped out for this 34 quid replacement

Cleared all codes and relearned the level, I was nervous using the basic settings but it worked. A fully functioning car again :applaus:

So moral of the story is if it isn't broke don't fix it?

Am I the only one that's lowered and had no issues with the light output?

So moral of the story is if it isn't broke don't fix it?

Am I the only one that's lowered and had no issues with the light output?

To true, can't stop tweaking though! Thing was it was broke, the lights were pointing into the ground. You need to reset them after lowering the front

Last edited:
Reactions: smurfworth
To true, can't stop tweaking though! Thing was it was broke, the lights were pointing into the ground. You need to reset them after lowering the front

See mines lower than probably 99% of the s3's on here and I don't seem to have any issues with them pointing to the ground. Just makes me wonder by having mine lower than others has it avoided the problem?

They still do their auto level on startup, it might just be that I've forgotten the light output before it was lowered though tbh