Adaptive cruise control

Alexwaller

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can add adaptive cruise control to my 2009 A4 B8.
I have cruise control but I was wandering if it’s possible to upgrade to adaptive as there are icons on the dash that seems like it can be an option.

Can be done, but its not cheap at all.

It's not a simple coding option, needs numerous parts.

Can be done, but its not cheap at all.

It's not a simple coding option, needs numerous parts.
I know it will need parts but if it’s going to be expensive then I won’t bother looking.
Do you know roughly how much for parts/ what’s required ?

My cluster has the distance display and the light for if it’s activated but I would need the sensor and the distance toggle cruise control stick and possibly the loom

You will need new steering stalks, bumper radar sensor (this has component protection) and wiring loom. The clocks appear to have the lights fitted but the SMD LEDs and resistors are not soldered to the board for the 2 central lights. There is also a ring of LEDs around the speedometer, these and the control chips are also not fitted. I read an article somewhere (will see if I can find it) where the guy soldered the additional LEDs for the 2 warning lights. He didn’t bother with the light ring. It worked without it.

Reactions: scotty76 and Alexwaller
You will need new steering stalks, bumper radar sensor (this has component protection) and wiring loom. The clocks appear to have the lights fitted but the SMD LEDs and resistors are not soldered to the board for the 2 central lights. There is also a ring of LEDs around the speedometer, these and the control chips are also not fitted. I read an article somewhere (will see if I can find it) where the guy soldered the additional LEDs for the 2 warning lights. He didn’t bother with the light ring. It worked without it.
Cheers for the info. Probably won’t go to all the trouble for it, especially as I have bought modified fog light grills but good to know what’s involved, thanks

I did it on my SQ5 which would be very similar.
Now that it's done I'm really glad I did it but if I knew when I started what was involved and the cost i probably wouldnt have done it.....I still daredn't add up what it came to lol
You need,
Radar sensor and bracket
Fog light grill
Wiring loom (kufatec or diy)
Cruise stalk with the adaptive options
Extended can (if not already fitted)
New clocks.

It will run ok on the original clocks but you wont have the indicator ring around the speedo, which is usefull to check what the set speed is in relation to actual. You also dont get the indicator light that tells you its picked up the car in front.

Component protection will also need removing from any of the major parts you've changed and then vcds to code up the options.

Lastly you need the sensor aligning which can be a costly dealer only job, however I managed to line it up by checking and resetting the measuring block values in vcds over a few days.

Works a treat!

Reactions: NHN
I’m quite tempted. Having just done side assist and lane change I’m close to running out of retrofits! I already have a stalk with the ACC distance control switch, keep looking for a radar sensor at a sensible price. But they are going for crazy money.

Did you have to drill the holes for the sensor bracket or are these already in place?

Did you have to drill the holes for the sensor bracket or are these already in place?
I expected to find the holes on the sub frame behind the grill, however even they weren't there. Would you believe it's a different part number(on the Q5 at least) with just the holes added!
I managed to make a template from a picture I found on the internet and then drill the 2 mounting holes through the fog light grill with a flexible drill shaft. Saved me taking the bumper off and changing the sub frame.
Lines up perfect

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I did read that about the Q5, apparently the holes are already present on the A4. Not looked for them yet. Might pop the fog light grill and take a look.

Where did you come through the bulkhead/firewall with the ACC cable?

It comes through in the side of the drivers footwell.
When you remove the arch liner, there is a main wiring loom going through at that point

Reactions: JohnS3
I’m quite tempted. Having just done side assist and lane change I’m close to running out of retrofits! I already have a stalk with the ACC distance control switch, keep looking for a radar sensor at a sensible price. But they are going for crazy money.
Is that side assistant is easy for retrofit ?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Is that side assistant is easy for retrofit ?

Quite straightforward, once you have all the parts and a loom, you also need the extended CAN gateway. The Kufatec loom is for LHD cars, so if yours is RHD you have to make some changes as the switch wires run to the wrong door. Also there is no multi plug on the section of loom that runs into the bumper. So I chose to cut it and pin into the correct parking sensor connector in the right hand side of the boot. You have both front doors to strip down to get wires up to the switch and mirrors for the side assist lights and also internal trim to access the gateway and rear of the car. I didn't need to get the system calibrated, the sensors I bought were from an A4 so didn't need recoding and work correctly.

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5