Acceptable cost for remap?

moorzy

Reaction score
after an idea of cost average for remapping of a 2008 b7 1.8t. Local firm have said £400 as unit needs doing on a bench so has to come out and needs motor for the day, extra 50bhp are expected gains, does four ton sound about right? That's all in cost btw, so tax etc.. Taken care of.

Cheers

Where's that to when I had my old 1.8t golf done at r tech paid £250 for a stage 1 on my a4 paid £500 at tsr for a custom map

Where's that to when I had my old 1.8t golf done at r tech paid £250 for a stage 1 on my a4 paid £500 at tsr for a custom map
Not sure what stages are geeza, just said +50bhp is expected gain. I got quotes off other local places and these came in at 150 + 200 so reckon either first was having my kicks down or these others are dogsh1t? Suppose it's a gamble innit? Out of curiosity, when mapped, is it possible to get + pull and +mpg as well as this doesn't compute in my noggin? Also does this cause damage or owt to moving parts, I'm assuming that I wouldn't need updated brakes or clutch or owt for +40-50bhp?

On both the cars I've had remapped when driving normal have got better mpg the extra torque can put pressure on the clutch afew people I know that have had there cars done the coil packs went not long after

Reactions: moorzy
Not sure what stages are geeza, just said +50bhp is expected gain. I got quotes off other local places and these came in at 150 + 200 so reckon either first was having my kicks down or these others are dogsh1t? Suppose it's a gamble innit? Out of curiosity, when mapped, is it possible to get + pull and +mpg as well as this doesn't compute in my noggin?
On both the cars I've had remapped when driving normal have got better mpg the extra torque can put pressure on the clutch afew people I know that have had there cars done the coil packs went not long after
Cheers fella

If you are anywhere near Manchester I would strongly recommend Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments, A forum sponsor and has mapped many users cars on here. I believe a lot of ECU's that were originally only able to be done by removal can now be done in situ if you have the correct equipment. How many miles has your car done as it's usually the clutch that suffers with the extra torque.

If you are anywhere near Manchester I would strongly recommend Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments, A forum sponsor and has mapped many users cars on here. I believe a lot of ECU's that were originally only able to be done by removal can now be done in situ if you have the correct equipment. How many miles has your car done as it's usually the clutch that suffers with the extra torque.
It's 2008 with 43k on the dial. Only just been broke in :)

Last edited:
Should be good then for the clutch. I am fairly sure that a lot of tuners wouldn't have to remove the ECU to tune these. It was the case when they first came out but a lot of tuners can do them through the OBD.

http://www.amdtuning.com/audi/a4/b7...tuning-rolling-road-remap-for-a-1-8t-163bhp-0

There are many other tuners around such as Revo who would probabaly be cheaper.
Where are you in the country?.
Manchester. I have been onto Rick at unicorn as recommended by someone further up the Fred. Quoted £350 with dyno before and after so probably worth extra ton and a half on other cheaper quotes from the area which don't provide "proof" of gains other than motor feeling more powerful through the gears.

*edit. 'Twas yourgoodself who recommended :D

Rick is a top guy, he has mapped many cars for people on here including mine. You will struggle to find anybody who is as good as him.
As he does all the mapping himself he can tweak it to exactly what you want. If you want to look after the clutch he can make the map less aggressive but still keep the top end.

Reactions: moorzy
Rick is a top guy, he has mapped many cars for people on here including mine. You will struggle to find anybody who is as good as him.
As he does all the mapping himself he can tweak it to exactly what you want. If you want to look after the clutch he can make the map less aggressive but still keep the top end.
Booked in, exactly as you describe squire, Rick said he can/will tailor to suit my mard **** requirements, I.e don't give me full on power gains so I don't fluff clutch/brakes.

Cheers for heads up chap. Appreciated.

Am sat in Unicorn Motor Development now as Rick is screwing the nuts out of my B7 cab on the dyno rig.

Top setup i've gotta say.

Soundproofed bay with massive fan and fume extraction gear in place. Nice comfortable heated waiting area. Very impressed.

Reactions: Bob R, desertstorm and xpoweruk