A4 TDi - Something went pop!

MrG A4

Reaction score
Whilst driving last night, something went pop followed by a hissing noise, it sounded just like a blown tyre but it wasn't. Since then there's a stange noise from above 1500rpm, can't think how best to describe this noise, but it gets louder as the revs increase.

I drove it back cautiously, it seemed ok, but I didn't want to push it.

Any ideas what might have happened??

intercooler pipe mate! split or came off!
same thing happened to me, but could only find it when lower tray was off and high on a ramp! nothing was visible from above!

Thanks CHEZ will look into that. Were there any other symptoms when this happened?

Thanks CHEZ will look into that. Were there any other symptoms when this happened?
on mine yes mate! the initial problem was jerkyness in acceleration, overfueling (black smoke), loud almost metallic turbo noise, almost as if turbo was goosed noise!, and would kangaroo!
got a lad out with vcds out and it diagnosed a air flow metre fault which got me worried, so unplugged this and car ran smooth but flat!
took to garage next day, hoisted up and discovered a large intercooler pipe was off! reconnected and good as new!
a friend at work has a a3 tdi, he was coming off a roundabout and noticed a pop and a hiss and then limp mode, it turned out to be a split in his intercooler hose! he replaced the hose and still good as new!
good luck

Had a good look round the engine bay today. All turbo and intercooler pipes look sound. Found this rounded black box where the noise seems to be coming from. It has a lid which seems to be open, when holding it down to close whilst getting the missus to rev it, the noise is much less. Not sure what it is though, I found it after taking the RH side headlight unit out. Ive got some pictures of it in my album. I'll try and attach one of them to this thread once I've worked out how to do it.

Here's a picture of the black box that is making noises when the car is revved.
4587-rounded-black-box-centre-picture-rh-side-underneath-headlight.jpg

oh dear
this black box went on mine ,not so long ago ...

its got some funny name ..cant think of it of hand ...

:idea: i know my motors ,but never heard of this before it went pop and ran over the top half ......
get a new one m8 and all will be good ..
#
good luck ..

Reactions: Mike.M and MrG A4
Thanks pink.teg. Hoping it's not expensive, it certainly doesn't look like it would be. Was it easy to fit the new one?

hi M8

cheap ...now that you have taken all the front off ,its a 2 min job ,
i done mine on a lift so got under it and was looking for something thats black .......
and saw that half was missing ...yeeerrr 2 min job

.:o.k:

Thanks Turkster.

Found out that it is called a pulsation damper. Ordered one from the local Audi dealer only cost £23.

well you learn something new every day! and bam! there it was!
a pulsation damper be ********!
can somebody explain how it dampens the pulses?