A3 8V MMI update...Bluetooth gone!

PeterB124

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum so I would appreciate any help or feedback

I own a 2013 Audi A3 Sline which has the MIB1 Std 8v0 035 864 MMI unit.

Back in June 2019 I purchased a software update, the MSTD_EU_AU_K3151 to update the MSTD_EU_AU_P2440 on my 8v0035864 unit. This was purchased off Upgrademyaudi.net. Since the update I have lost both bluetooth and voice functions. This I now understand is a well known issue with these units and hard to fix if at all possible. I got in touch with the owners of Upgrademyaudi.net and they seemed keen to help. With a few emails back and forth they assisted then suddenly they stopped responding. Since then I have had no contact at all. At the end I took my car to an Audi workshop, they took in the car for a diagnostic test and even they could not correct the issue or even find a work around.

With a bit of digging online my understanding is the _K3151 software is only suitable for the MIB2 standard and high 5F units so incompatible for the MIB1 standard. (although it installed correctly)

The only fix i can find so far is to go into recovery boot mode and reinstall the original _P2440 software (loosing all previous settings). My worry is that even Audi would not be prepared to (or could?) do this and would cost me £££.

The following website (in french) describe this very issue and a possible fix.
https://www.lesamisdudiag.com/vag-com/80906-probleme-bluetooth-apres-maj-mib-std-audi-a3-8v.html

Has anyone come across this before and have they corrected this bluetooth issue?

Thank you in advance.

Hi mate could not really help you but maybe get in contact with Alex from vag car coding ( Djalex ) on this forum. Maybe you could send him your unit via post he has done x2 units for me and can not recommend him enough !!

All the best and welcome to the forum

Thank you Daniela3, I appreciate your kind words and advice.... i will leave contacting Djalex for now but it's good knowing there is someone who may be able to help.

This all stemmed off when I was having a bit of music track misinformation on the MMI screen when playing mp3's via bluetooth. This I felt may have been a software bug and I decided to update it. The Software update came from Upgrademyaudi.net which maintained the software was from genuine Audi sources. The update (MSTD_EU_AU_K3151) installed correctly and all other functions work well. The main problem is the bluetooth module cannot be found or be activated within the menu screens. I spent many hours trying to work out why this was happening. The only conclusion I came with was the software drivers for bluetooth were too new for the module inside the MMI unit. This was somewhat confirmed when searching online for answers (sadly i don't have the website address) and this is most likely the case. I even opened the MMI 5f unit to locate the bluetooth module to see if I could find any information eg. chip set etc, online, below is a photo. I believe Upgrademyaudi.net are somewhat responsible as it was their online system who recommended this update. Them being all things Audi, should have been aware of this issue and refused me the update. To date I have notified them of this issue but yet have had no reply.

I was wondering if it was at all possible to downgrade the firmware on this unit, any advice or help again would be greatly appreciated.

I know a lot of you are saying, why don't I just get a bluetooth device and connect it to the car's MMI aux in. This is exactly what I have done since this episode but feel annoyed that it has resulted to this.

20200403 142526

Well a quick update...

It seems that the Panasonic 5F units used for the early A3 2012 - are notorious to work with and offer no user friendly serviceability which means that all work has to go through an Audi workshop using ODIS which costs the end user £££££.

This leads me to the Harman 5F units..

Can anyone confirm that it would be possible to directly replace a Panasonic to a Harman (hacked) like for like?
So say if i purchased an unit from Vagtec - http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/audi/a3/a3-8v.html?p=3&typ_product= will this be fully plug and play? (i tried emailing them about this and no comeback?)

I have since contact Djalex via Vag Car Coding re. my issue but have not got a reply?

Anyway that's all for now

Have heard mixed reviews of vagtec I have messaged with no reply when sourcing my mib2 cable. I would opt for eBay and buy complete mib2 . If you don’t have the large screen you will need the big screen + mib2 unit, the storage bin for under the armrest with the usb and cable harness I left my original centre controls. I brought a vcds cable and done a remote session with Djalex to do my coding / adaptions. He also hacked and updated all my unit. And works oem and I am very impressed. I’m sure if you send him a text message he will come back to you as he may be busy.

I haven't been on this site for some time now due to the whole co-vid situation and family commitments etc. so i apologise....

but just wanted to make another enquiry out there to the Audisport community relating to my above post.

I read somewhere that me having updated the firmware to the Panasonic 8V0 035 864 5F unit, the reason for me loosing bluetooth and voice is due to the bluetooth licensing on the unit? This means since I updated the firmware the Panasonic has stopped bluetooth due to licensing reasons? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, the Audi workshop where I took my car to should have picked this up and told me?

thanks in advance for any comments