where to start?

chris42cat

Reaction score
hi.

if i manage to keep within my budget when buying an S4 2.7 biturbo, i should have between £1500 and £2000 to spend on engine modifications. i would like to know what you guys would recommend?

turbo's?
injectors?
intercoolers?

turbo engines are new to me and this will be my first. i am coming from a peugeot xu10j4 and xu10j4rs background.

i have tried to do a search and to find out some more info before posting this but because im new to this forum im not really clue'd up on what to search for.

any positive help will be appreciated.

chris

Last edited:
I would say get used to it first and then I would spend some cash sorting the suspension and brakes before doing anything to up the power.

yeah your right i have learned the hard way in the past about buying new cars. i have already set aside some of my budget for suspension and brakes but like the above, im unsure of what to choose, where to buy and at what cost.

chris

Depends what you want to do with the car, what compromises you will make to achieve results and how big a budget you're looking at.

You don't need to go mental, I went fro AP's coilovers on my 1.8T and so far have been very very pleased, my brakes are a bit naff though and find they fade out on track. K-Sport do some cracking kits. I know the S4 has different brakes to the 1.8T though so it's worth asking what other owners have added.

i dont plan on doing track days at the moment so im thinking some uprated pads will help or even some calipers from a later model if that is possible? what cost would that be? this will be a family car so im not looking for a rock hard ride, i was thinking maybe billies with eibach springs if they are available although i havnt looked yet (had this setup on my 306 and was very pleased)

Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs is an epic choice, not cheap but very very good:applaus:, I only opted for the coilovers as a mate in the trade got them at a bargain price I couldn't decline. lol

Use the extra £2k to buy an S4 that has already been modified with K04 turbos as you'd hope all the other bits would have been done too.

where are the best places to shop online for uprated suspension and brakes?

i've used euro performance for suspension before.

For front brakes, i'd look at getting a pair of calipers from a B6 S4. They take 345mm disks instead of 321, and are generally a much nicer design.

for the rear, theres a chap over on audisrs who does brackets that allow you to fit facelift B5 S4 calipers (facelifts have vented rears) over a 300mm disk.

As for engine mods, it really depends how mad you want to go. The first stage imo would be an exhaust (with downpipes to get rid of two of the cats) and some decent intercoolers. Then you can either remap it like that with the stock turbos, for power somewhere around 330hp, or if you want more then its an engine pull to fit some K04 turbos and a new clutch. I dont think your budget would stretch to that though, as the exhaust, intercoolers and remap are going to cost a grand easy.

i i were you mate id try and get a set of B5 RS4 brakes if your on a budget, picked mine up for that from a mate and its the prob the best mod i have done for the price, you cant put a price on safety and tbh the S4 brakes are not the best. suspension wise billy's and eibach springs work but eibach dont make springs for our cars anymore mate as i was opting for that setup but went for eibach pro street coilys instead as they were cheaper and can be adjusted anytime you like. with them you should have nearly 1k to play with so get yourself an MRC remap or VIPER remap as these boys certainly know wot they are on about. with the change get yourself an exhaust be best from turbo back but we talking serious doh!! for that so cat back at first. if you can do that with the money then you should have a decent S4 and then you can save for more mods as its gona grip you by the cahooners and there no stopping lol

obviously rims is a good idea mind so look for a good set on the net or off the boys on here.
or like blue thunder said put the 2k towards an S4 that been K04'd which are ranging in prices 5-7k which is good deal as its gona cost you close to 5k to get it to k04. if i could go back id buy an S4 already done with k04's but atleast this car is all mine and all done by me(thats the joy of modding)

ive had a look around for decats as ive had them on all my pugs in the past, is this the way to go on these engines or are sports cats the best?

thinking about it i could get a pair made up at work if i had a spare set of cats to work from for metarial costs only.

also how often do the s4's come up for sale that have the k04 turbos?

Last edited:
theres always a K04 S4 coming up for sale you jus have to looking and be patient. id say mate go for gutted cats or sports cats and downpipes.

Unless you find a perfect S4 (good luck) be ready to spend the money you have set a side getting rid of any boost leaks etc and getting the motor running smoothly, before even looking at performance upgrades.

jus make sure when you test drive a car that it pulls well, all the oil and water are wot they should be, well maintained and you should plug it into vagcom first. main things are to look out for are MAF, lambda and EGT sensors, suspension and all belts have been done and its been serviced reguarly.

thanks everyone for your input, i will more then likely try and buy one off here on the off chance its been looked after and in good working order :yes:

second that, SRS have some boys who seriously know wot they are on about.