Steering wheel clicking - slip ring?

nick4501

Reaction score
Hi guys.

My steering wheel clicks when I turn it (whether moving or stood still). The click sounds like it's coming directly from inside the steering wheel, around the instrument cluster area.

I recently took my car in for a Revo trial at AMD (epic, btw!) and he commented on it, saying that it's almost certainly the slip ring. He said it's about an hour and a half job.

I was wondering if it was something I could do myself? If so:

Where can I get a replacement slip ring for a 2001 A3 1.8t?

Are there any detailed online guides about how to go about replacing it?...I don't wanna go setting the air bag off or anything...!

Thanks!

the 8L A3 does not have a slip ring. instead it has a coil of flexi ribbon that carries the horn and airbag wires which is wound loosely enough to enable the steering wheel to be turned in either direction.

best bet is to dissemble the steering wheel bit by bit and try to see what is clicking

don't worry about the airbag going off. just make sure the ignition is off when you unplug it.

to remove the steering wheel turn it a quarter turn. this will enable you to access the two hex screws that hold the airbag unit on. when you have removed these centre the steering wheel before unplugging and removing the steering wheel.