Turbo Problems?

mrjheeta

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a problem with the car for a little while, with the oil light coming on often around a 1000 miles after it's been serviced etc and have been told the turbo is leaking oil. Now I'm not entirely sure how the turbo works, so can anybody explain why the turbo would be leaking oil?

If this is the case, can I upgrade to a turbo say from a 190bhp a4 without changing anything else? Or would I need to stick to the turbo from the 150bhp? My engine is an AVJ.

Sorry for what may seem an obvious question but I need to make sure before I start spending money on new turbos etc...

Hi mate
I'm new to this forum but have been doing a lot of reading over the past few days on turbos as my A3 1.9 TDI on an 08 plate with 32k started to make a sound when changing gears, sounds like it has a turbo dump valve but sounds like a dog with a hecup, not sure what it is still but would appreciate it if anyone could please advise me as to what it could be. Perfomance is excellent, no problems apart from this annoying sound????

As ro your question, read the following link, will answer your question.
http://www.arturbo.co.uk/turbo_works.asp

Thanks
Faz

your turbo has an oil feed from the engine in order to lubricate it and keep it cool, it is a metal pipe usually, can you see it leaking? i dont know if you can put on a bigger turbo but the 1.8t are highly tunable.

thanks faz, thanks swarcup, ill have to look into it a bit more. but the turbo i was hoping ot put on would be from another 1.8t, maybe a k04 i think it may be...

if you can't see a leak form the outside, try removing the pipe which sends the air to the MAF to make sure its not leaking oil from the seals inside the turbo. if it is leaking oil from inside the turbo you could also have oil leaking into your exhaust.

Last edited: