S-Tronic Torque Limit - Truth or Urban Myth ?

Yaks

Reaction score
It's well documented on forums and tuner's websites that the 6-speed transverse mounted s-tronic 'box has a software limit of 350Nm of torque ( ie 260lb/ft ).

Can anyone provide an official link that verifies this, ie from Audi or VW or the manufacturer ?

The reason I ask is that I'm getting a new S3 shortly and was speaking to my local ( well respected on here and other VAG forums ) tuner. I was enquiring about an ecu upgrade, and then asked about an s-tronic upgrade which I thought would be needed as well as the torque level would go up to approx 300 lb/ft. He said the s-tronic upgrade was not required as there wasn't any torque limit on it, only reason for the s-tronic upgrade was if you wanted any of the other features it offers.

I've spent the afternoon Googling but couldn't find anything that wasn't a forum or car mag or tuner website.

Not going to name any names at the moment, would like to be able to send him any links and ask for comments ?

Cheers,
Yaks

Word of mouth: 400NM
Reality: ??? - I know a GTI ED30 with ~380HP and ~ 530NM on a DSG with no problems
The software upgrade doesn't increase the torque handling capacity. With new software you can have faster gear changes on manual mode, launch control, better response etc.
For more torque you should change the clutch disks. SSP Performance offers 2 kind of such uprated disks: for 400HP and 500 HP. I don't know about the torque but if you're interested I think they can tell you about this too.

REVO who are very reputable VAG tuners offer a DSG software upgrade that boosts the software limit to 500Nm. i'd trust their experience, so if they say it's not gonna break then it's not gonna break