Newbie here.

SlowHonda

Reaction score
Website
www.gaydm.com
Just thought I would take a chance to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions I had.
My name is Kyle and right now I drive a 99 Honda Civic Si. Bolt ons, slow by most accounts including my own. I guess for a bolt on 1.6 liter engine its "quick" (14.9 1/4 mile) and worked well for a good gas mileage daily driver but now I am looking on moving on up in the world.
I had many cars I am considering 93-95 RX-7, WRX, 91-95 MR2 turbo, to name a few. When discussing it over with a friend he mentioned, "What about an Audi S4?", I hadn't really thought about it because I was looking to stay in a litle bit lower of a price range but when I looked up info a fell in love. I need not bore you guys with the specs because you know them anyways but AWD, 6spd tranny, two turbos, and alot more "presitige" is what has drawn me in.
Now, on with the questions. How reliable is the car? From what I have seen in various reviews it is pretty good. Am I correct in that assumption? I have read around and looked up the basic mod path of chip, intake, exhaust and was wondering how that effects the reliablity? Not a big deal but about how fast are they stock in the 1.4 mile and such?
I know these questions prolly have been asked 1000 times and I saw someone mention an archive section in another post on this board but I couldnt find it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Hey man, I was in the same boat you are. Previous owner of several Honda CRX's my last one an 88 CRX Si ZC engine, full 6pc mugen kit, techno blue paint, full suspension, I,H,E all the goodies.. was running mid 14's. Got tired of the noise and the ride so I was looking at buying a new car 04' Si, STi, or an Integra Type-R and then a friend said to check out the S4. Finally picked up mine for $16,500. Pearl White, Loaded Except Navigation and Alcantra suede, it had about 90K on it, two owners, all highway miles. If you live in the states like me it seems like most of the people that have the S4 have things like the APR chip installed, new Throttle body boot (stock one is very weak), and new diverter valves (a must for chipped cars).

As far as 0-60 and 1/4 miles times go here is a stat I found from the website below.
2000 Audi S4
0-60 = 5.5 secs.
1/4 mile = 14.1
It has LOTS of makes and models. Check it out: http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

Good Luck on your search man. From what I hear the S4 is a pretty good car. I've heard get the warrenty and if you are going Audi Assured you will be paying a few thousand more for the car. Another thing to keep in mind is that the parts are expensive just because its a German car.

I'm not to worried about a warranty as I will prolly be voiding it anyways. So basic mod path should consist of intake, exhaust, chip, throttle body boot, and new diverter valves. I know the dirvirter valve is basically that same as a BOV. Where can I find better than stock units?

LLtek.com offers a lot of upgrade options for the S4. Another alternative you can consider, it may not be as fast or have the reputation but look into getting a 1999.5 A4 2.8 Q and modding it. THese cars are very expensive to keep up and repair but thats a good alternative if you dont havea a lot of cash to spend. If you have the money then more power to you get the S4 most definetly.

www.lltek.com has a lot of good upgrades at pretty decent prices, also take a look on ebay for most cosmetic items and you may even find a lot of good performance parts on there every once and a while.

Good Luck

[ QUOTE ]
SlowHonda said:
I'm not to worried about a warranty as I will prolly be voiding it anyways. So basic mod path should consist of intake, exhaust, chip, throttle body boot, and new diverter valves. I know the dirvirter valve is basically that same as a BOV. Where can I find better than stock units?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehehe, welcome to the addictive world of Audi modifiers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

I started out chipping my car...ended up with changing most of the parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, I run an S4 at 470bhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

G

I don't think affording a S4 will be a problem, I just orginally was going to look for something made in the early 90's so it would be cheaper due to age.
So how often is maintence other than oil changes and what not needed? I was under the impression they are fairly reliable.

They are reliable cars... only had few problems with some sensors...but otherwise it's great

G

Awesome. My mind is pretty set on the S4 now. I will try to keep a presence around here as to better my knowledge of the car in general so that when I get one I don't feel as clueless.

Good choice, trust me you won't regret it! I've had my car for 4 years and I still love it... but I did a few mods along the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyways, good luck

G