ECU and what else

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals i have heared that the 1.8t AEB and AJL engines are the the same but for the ecu that if i change it should give me an extra 30 bhp so instead od a 150 bhp i would get 180 if this is not wright please tell me. I know that i will have to get it coded to my immobiliser but is there any thing i will need like the injectors etc etc Thank you gareth

Been looking at exactly this myself. What I'm now looking at is retaining teh AEB ECU but having a Superchip program for the AJL grafted onto it.

The ECU is probably the same physical unit with only the software being different. Don't see why you'd go to he bother when you can get your own car remapped or chipped.

Been looking at exactly this myself. What I'm now looking at is retaining teh AEB ECU but having a Superchip program for the AJL grafted onto it.
Oranoco,would i be right in thinking that your line of reasoning would be that an ajl superchip would give more power than a dedicated aeb chip,very interesting line of thought and I would love to know if this would work and how more power and torque could be expected. I dare say this has been tried before and answers will be coming thick and fast,thanks guys. dave.

As long as your car has the later ECU (two big plugs, and a curvey ECU case) it should be a streight swap, bar recoding the immo.

If you have the early ECU (5 small plugs and square brick like box) then you'd need to change the engine harness as well.

AJL remaps will probably manage 210ish max, AEB remaps can be anywhere from 180 to 200 depending on who does it.

It all comes down to the boost pressure. An AEB runs 8psi stock, and your average remap might add 4-6psi, giving you 12-14psi. An AJL runs 12psi stock, but they'll typically still add 4-6psi, giving you 16-18psi. If the ECUs are similar enough, the AEB ECU will be able to be flashed with an AJL rom, and would work fine.

Theres nothing stopping them mapping the AEB to 18psi, but as an off the shelf chip, the companies like to play safe.