Calling all sparkys!!

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents. I need some info/advice.

You are aware I have fitted a B7 steering wheel, minus the airbag. Due to there being no steering wheel internals, I have lost function of the horn. However I have a very simple push button horn button with two splades on the back for hooking up the horn wires. The thing is I dont know what colour wire/wires are for the horn!!!! The wires that were inside the wheel/airbag on the old steering for the horn were solid purple and green wires. Nothing inside the cowling cover matches these colours????!!!!!! The wires running off the horns at the front of the car by the radiator are solid brown and solid black on one of the horn units, and striped green/black and solid brown on the other unit. Question I have is does anyone know the colours of the two wires I need to run into the push button I have to make the horn work??!! I have been looking for ages, but cannot be sure of the colours. I dont want to mess this up as I dont fancy slicing into wires in that area without knowing what they are!!! Please help guys!!!

Ollie

Last edited:
One end of your switch gets grounded.

The other end looks like it goes to a brown/white wire on the airbag contact ring (pin 3). Alternatively you could pick it up at the relay box, as the brown white goes to the coil of the horn relay, which i think is relay number 1.

Aragorn, your a leg mate! Will try that tomorrow and hopefully it will work! In the meantime I've just pucked up some facelift heater vents. What wires do bod usually run them off for illumination mate?

So just piggyback the illum wires for the ashtray/stereo and that should do it?

yep i done the same to illuminate a switch, i thought you threw those vents away?

Went to the scrappy today(see my recent thread) and found some black ones(the other ones were very dark grey).....those were the ines that got binned....along those lines, theres an immaculate set of kick/scuff door trim mouldings (with shiny metal bits!) on the 1999 a4 I salvaged the bits from! I know your after a set! See my other thread for details...

i have them now thanks anyway