S3 headlight adjustment help

brys3

Reaction score
I've got a facelift s3 and my xenons seem to point really low. My self leveling does not work at all. So I've tried adjusting with the Allen key adjusters but on the drivers side this does not work. I'm considering removing the headlights to strip the motors, and check this adjuster. Do you think this will solve the problems and anyone else had this issue and resolved it? Any tips? Please help
thanks

I think you can fix it with a proper VAGCOM.

As above.
get it scanned to see if there are any faults up for your level sensors or controller module etc. I had this fault initially, my rear level sensor was goosed. replaced that and it was fine.
also got my headlight alignment done during free MOT at audi so bonus!
Then to set the beam alignment properly you also have to use vagcom/VCDS, alternatively give it to a garage.

i have never understood why you need vagcom, surely if the cars on the ground, turn the lights on and use alen key to adjust to the correct height?

When you set the headlights using vagcom the xenon self levelling motors are set to a centre position.
You then adjust the headlights manually and tell it through vagcom you are finished, the level controller then 'learns' this position as its default or home position.
That is why you need vagcom.

I've plugged a fault code reader in and comes up with nothing. I also can't adjust my headlights and higher up using the Allen key. Will vagcom adjust the height?

How is this done with vag-com, what do you need to?

I remember reading that its very common for part of the headlight motors to break off and they then stop working. So if vagvom doesn't solve the issue you may need to get new motors. Strip them down first and see if they are indeed shagged!

If vag-com doesnt work ill just rip out the self leveling plug and manualy adjust it :0