Just bought my first A4 !! PowerSteering Noise*

moorheadbrian

moorheadbrian
Reaction score
Just got my first Audi there the other nigth and thought it was time to leave ukmiv's.net since i was no longer driving the golf, so got myself singed up here :icon_thumright:

The car is an '02 1.9TDI 130 and theres just a few niggly things i'd like to ask about to make sure im not going to run into serious trouble on down the line. 83k on the clock by the way if that helps.

1) There is quite a loud sort of screeching noise when turning the wheel to full lock in either direction. Is this some sort of power steering fault or the a loose belt?

2) Car tends to slip out of reverse sometimes?

3) In fith gear especially the gearstick seems to like to move backwards maybe about half an inch then return to original position when lifting off.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
:sign_welcome: TO THE CLUB

Theres a wealth of collective knowledge on here so any issues should get sorted reletively quickly.(may not be cheaply though)

Have you checked you power steering fluid level is ok? although there are threads around regarding loud power steering noises

Slipping out of reverse is a new one to me but maybe the linkage needs looking at

and from what i believe the gear stick does move when accelerating and slowing but maybe the reverse thing and the gearstick movement are related?