1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8V Saloon window tint

dp_motley Nov 10, 2018 at 9:32 AM

1. dp_motley

dp_motley 2012 A3 1.6 TDI

Het there! I have a question to owners of a 8V Saloon with tinted windows. I test drove a FL 8V Saloon yesterday and considered purchasing it if it still was for sale when I sold my 2012 8PA. This car had tinted rear sides and rear windshield and it didn't look like a quality job. The tint had an ugly cut out around the brake light.
    Look at the picture. Are your rear windshield tinted the same or your tint doesn't have that cut out?

A3 8V ugly tint.jpg

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Team Ara Blue Gold Supporter Black Edition S3 Saloon

Mine has the same tint all over just like proper privacy glass should be.
    It looks like that car has had aftermarket tinting film applied and is not factory fitted privacy glass.

20181110_105920.jpg 20181110_105931.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:12 AM
  4. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Can’t comment on the a3 but I had my a6 tinted and the whole glass including brake light was tinted. That looks like laziness. I think it’s only a couple of clips that hold the brake light in place.
    upload_2018-11-10_10-13-24.jpeg

dp_motley likes this.
  5. sparkymark75

sparkymark75 Member

I had mine done a few weeks ago.[​IMG][​IMG]

dp_motley likes this.
  6. Ormesome

Ormesome Well-Known Member TDi quattro S-line owners group S tronic Q2 owners group

Factory privacy glass will always look better as it doesn't show up the rear heated window elements. It might be just dirt, but that window looks like it has air bubbles all over it too.

dp_motley likes this.
  7. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Team Ara Blue Gold Supporter Black Edition S3 Saloon

Yes they do seem very visible.....actually had me wondering at first if mine can be seen like that, but I'm glad it can't. :)

Ormesome likes this.
  8. dp_motley

Thanks guys! I had this feeling that the tinter was too lazy and didn't bother removing the break light but I needed to know if it was even possible. Now I see it is.

The privacy glass is indeed the best option. It looks just great. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get a pre-owned audi with the privacy glass in Denmark, so the tint is the most common solution for many drivers (tint costs 1/3 of the privacy glass too).

Edit. Those of you who spottet bubbles, you are right. There are bubbles too. I already decided to re-tint everything if I bought this car.

9. Ormesome

Ormesome Well-Known Member TDi quattro S-line owners group S tronic Q2 owners group

Only reason why I noticed the bubbles is because my old A3 had the same. I had it tinted by a local guy. My glass had small little blemishes and it showed up as air bubbles in the tint. Be careful. It might not be air bubbles. Mine was because it had accident damage and the glass wasn't replaced. Do not know how the glass was damaged like that but when I saw that photo of yours then thats immediately what I thought. Don't mean to scare you, but sometimes not all is as it seems....

dp_motley likes this.
  10. dp_motley

Thanks @Ormesome I'll look closer for possible damages. I didn't find anything suspicious yet.

Ormesome likes this.
  11. glasgowdubber

glasgowdubber Active Member

[​IMG]

My saloon yesterday after having aftermarket tints on the rear added, definitely doesn’t look cheap as others say, in fact I’ve had just about every vehicle I owned tinted aftermarket.

Pay cheap, pay twice as they say...

Ron240 and dp_motley like this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. JJ_2018

JJ_2018 Member

Mate those pics look amazing! Where is diamond tints locate?