8v Manual gearbox

Good to hear your back in the driving seat Dave. Nice :)

Cheers, gonna to take its easy for a week or so but was itching to get back in the driving seat, the irony was that I drove to the physiotherapist

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
whether or not its been like this since I got it, or just recently come about, I don't know. Going into 3rd is notchy/very notchy, everything else is fine.

63 plate, 20k miles

Can someone define this "notchy" sensation? I have noticed that when going from neutral to 1st I sometimes get some hesitation and it feels like the stick has not fully travelled the whole way into 1st. It's like it's 2/3rds of the way there. Making me go back to neutral to try again. I've got no other issues with other gears. This issue is very intermittent though. Any ideas?

Sounds familiar. I've done 5000 miles in my loan S3 now, and the gearbox is generally ok, with intermittent doses of being a recalcitrant git that won't engage first, or reverse when I want it to, or gets third instead of first, or reverse instead of first (and viceversa).

As I said in another thread, it's ok, but by no means as good as some Japanese offerings. It's not enough to put me off ever having a manual at all (Tremec 6 speed would do that), but it's not one of the worlds greats.

Last edited: