Which coilovers? 97 2.8Q

Padz

Reaction score
Hi guys im wanting to get some coilovers on my car as it looks like a Q7 at present, was thinking ebay jobs as ive had good results with these on my B5.5 passat, do i need to get particular ones for the quattro? also will they affect the 4x4 system?
Finally with regard to rims do i need to get special fitment rims or will any audi wheels do? Reason i ask is that a mate has a set of 18" rs4 reps but they dont fit his b5.5 passat 4motion..
Thanks.

Audi use two wheel fitments in recent years, 5x112 on the bigger cars ie A4> and 5x100 on A3/TT etc. As of the release of the MK2 TT and the MK2 A3 however, the smaller cars also use 5x112 but with a different offset.

Larger cars appear to use offsets around 40-45 whereas the A3/TT uses offset around 55.

If the wheels you have dont bolt on at all, then they're likely 5x100. If they bolt on but catch on everything, they might just be a high offset rim, and can be spaced out suitably.

On the suspension, i always go for function over form, and such i wouldnt be fitting unbranded ebay coilovers to my car. If it costs £500 for a decent set of Koni/Bilstein shocks and springs, how can a £200 coilover set possibly be any good?

You will need Quattro items, as the rear suspension is different, and you will also need a set designed for a V6, to ensure the front spring rates are correct, and no they wont affect the 4x4 system.

ditto, don't do a maxpower citroen saxo on your suspension.
it is more important that just hieght.
stick to well known brands
Bilstein, Koni, KW, Eibach etc

better to get lowering springs and shocks than cheap coils

Aragorn, on the subject of wheels, I have seen some Mk 2 TT items which are 18inch 9J 5 stud 112, Ronal 10 spokes. 245/40/18. They do not mention the offset. Will they fit a 2000 year 2,8Q? Also with offsets is the larger the offset (the number ie. 55 as opposed to 40-45) mean the wheels stick out more or less?

larger the number the more "in" they are.

So if you have an ET55 wheel you can add a 10mm spacer to space it out to ET45.

Fitting 9J wheels of any offset on a normal B5 isnt going to work though, they're just too wide. Even 8.5" is pushing it and imo looks stupid as the wheels stick out.

Thankyou for your answers guys - very informative and helpful!