What's the difference.....

rsjohn

Reaction score
....between an S4 V6 version and my 3.0 v6 quattro sport engine wise?

Uh V6 S4 on a B6 chassis, no, its a V8 for a start as wheelie has correctly mentioned so extra 1.2 litres as I owned one, beast of an car but to heavy to really prove itself IMHO with real life experience of owning one.

Maybe you mean a B8 S4 which is a V6? In that case its a supercharger ;)

Audi did a 2.7 twin blowered v6 too, dunno if it ever came mass produced in the UK but definately did one, maybe thats what he's thinking of.

im not to clued up on models which is why i stated the v6 engine and not the 4.2 v8...
main reason for asking is im either going to sell my 3.0 quattro sport and get a 1.8t or 2.0 tdi or is there a way of getting mine alot quicker with more power and as i saw the S4 once had a V6 engine whats the difference.

Thats a B5 S4 isnt it?
100% yes i had a B5 S4 2.7 biturbo V6
remapped and it would stomp a V8 b6
as for the difference in engines i dont know
i know the B5 was a 30v quad cam with variable valve timing but not sure on 3 litre v6s .

I know it's been covered in this thread, but in sumamry:

B5 S4 = 2.7 twin turbo V6
B5 RS4 = similar engine (remapped & tweaked)

B6 S4 = 4.2 V8 (heavy 344bhp)
B6, no RS4 :(

B7 S4 = same engine as B6 S4.
B7 RS4 = 4.2 V8 (but a completely different, revvy 420bhp)

B8 S4 = all new, extra light, low emissions 344bhp 3 litre V6 supercharged (despite the TFSI name)
B8, no RS4.... well, not yet :shrug:

edit: changed B7 S4 stats above (in italics).... thanks guys!

Last edited:
Uh dude there was a B7 S4 as they had better mpg & also the quadback pipes.

B8 S4 = all new, extra light, low emissions 344bhp 3 litre V6 supercharged (despite the TFSI name)
!

so does anyone know if they used the same engine as in my 3.0 quattro?

so does anyone know if they used the same engine as in my 3.0 quattro?

I would say 99.9% that the B8 S4 is a completely new engine, revised for emissions etc, and apart from having 6 cylinders bears no resemblance to the B6 3.0 engine!

ok thanks, looks like i will be selling this then in favourable for a more tuneable model....

:thumbsup:

DSC00027-1.jpg

Okay - what's the answer then?

EVO are saying: "S4's 2995cc vs the B6 3.0's 2976cc"

Parkers say: "S4's 24V 2968cc vs the B6 3.0's 30V 2976cc" so although I know neither of these are properly reliable sources (well one of them is properly wrong since they contradict each other!), it would seem that it's probably not the same engine (but just with a supercharger)...

The 3.0 was a good, modern light-alloy engine 10yrs ago, but the emphasis now is also on really low emissions, so I think the engine was compeltely re-designed with that in mind (hence FSI and designed to be able to use forced induction more effectively).

You can always get 2.7 biturbo swapped to B6. I'm sure it will still be much cheaper than PES supercharger. IIRC ABT did B6 AS4 with 2.7BT :D

You can always get 2.7 biturbo swapped to B6. I'm sure it will still be much cheaper than PES supercharger. IIRC ABT did B6 AS4 with 2.7BT :D

This has been brought up before and if it is still possible then id be getting me a 2.7 Bi-turbo straight away! IMO the best combination :respekt: