Speedo dead

DaveA3-TDI

Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone help me please, car was delivered back from the bodyshop last after having a rear light replaced and bumper sprayed and now the dash/speedo area is completely dead. The rev counter, temp, fuel guages do not work. There is no mileage reading or trip computer. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong ?

thanks

Does it start and then cut out a second or 2 after? If so i had the same problem with my S3 8L a couple of weeks back.

All i did was remove the clock and leave out of the car for a day then plugged it all back in...Good as gold now :)

Hope this helps.

In that case try running the Vagcom though it.....Sounds strange, Try fuses then, thats were my moneys at.

Try hitting the top of the dash or the bottom of the steering colum...Try moveing the steering wheel adjustment forward, back and up and down, Sometimes wires have funny moments.

Did they take the speedo out at all which seems unlikely given repairs done, I would ask them & also remove it & check if they've pulled the speedo apart as it does have a front & rear part to it iirc, that pulls apart, my feeling is the 2 parts arent together properly or the speedo has lost some power wire to the functions that are down as the immo is working fine atm as it starts & stays running.

They have told me that they have not removed the dashpod and haven't done anything in that area. They have also told me now that this apparently is a common problem on A3's and Audi will deny it. Does anyone have any infomation on this or does anyone have a phone number for Audi head office ?
Thanks

The A3 does have some quirks with clusters, but seems rather coincidental it was ok when went in, now comes out with some things not working, try disconnecting battery for 10 minutes then back on, try removing cluster & checking connections in loom & wiggle the wires to see if its a short, also check internals of cluster, watch the needles aswell as get these out of alignment it might take little while getting spot on again.

Dave, what I would in these circumstances would be to return to the garage that worked on the rear lamp and bumper. Ask them to remove the repaired rear lamp and disconnect it. Try the cluster. If that does not work, ask them to trace the wiring looms that feed the rear bumper area (tail lights etc) and check for any pinching or damage to the wiring looms. Remove the rear bumper if necessary to get at them. Also check any ground (chassis) connection point, or any ground point that has not been re-connected properly. By this logic I am assuming that some form of electrical situation has somehow hit the canbus or control wires that go all the way bach to the car control unit. Anyway, a long-shot but perhaps worth a try. Good luck.