Strange noise on cold start

rog190quattro

Reaction score
Hi everyone my 1.8t 190 has developed a strange noise when starting from cold ,it only lasts for a few seconds not even long enough to get any idea what it is.Only noticed it after it has come back from garage for coolant leak[corroded screw] but also coincides with it getting colder,my wife took it back to garage they said they could'nt see anything a miss and some cars do this , she thinks he said it was something to do with cold air and the air pump ?any ideas anyone .Hope you all have a good christmas

i think your right with the air pump idea
i know some older vectras had them
and im pretty sure my 2002 1.8t does the same
shouldnt worry about it

Air pump possibly = SAI (secondary air injection) system?

I'm not techy but my understanding is that it is a pump which recircs the air (exhaust?) until the cat (not the feline type) has reached operating temp - helps with emissions

It is an "upgrade" to remove this and is cheaper than replacing it when it goes faulty

Ok you have an annoying noise on start up which could mean alot of things, What noise does it make?? I know you said it aint long enough to know what it is but you know what kind of sound it is yeah...

Soooo, is it like a Rattle sound? Chain rattle sound?? Tapping sound????
2-3seconds on start up, correct???

I get a noise on cold start up too, sounds like a dry Head for few seconds but thats normal on these A4's, both mine did it aswell as many others on here.
Does it sound like something is rubbing against plastic? ( if you catch my Drift)....

j7, i think thats how mine started, look how that ended, got it back now bud, all done running sweet as a nut.

1Wheel - Thats good news mate, glad its all sorted now.Xmas would have been a miserable one eh. Was I close with the Price??