AMD Stage 2 TDI - Completed

I have never heard of them, but then again I have not heard of half the tuning companies out there.

Good Luck, let us know the results and more importantly how it drives and smokes :icon_thumright:

I have never heard of them, but then again I have not heard of half the tuning companies out there.

Good Luck, let us know the results and more importantly how it drives and smokes :icon_thumright:

I will, don't you worry. He's excellent and half of his customers are unhappy with their previous remaps and they turn to him as he is the mapping god......:wub:

Last edited:
Last week I went to AMD for the 5th time, I had to go back once again as my 4th visit was meant to be for them to put the original 1st map as seen in the Dyno in the 1st post, but to take the fuelling down between 1000-2000 RPM as on part throttle it was a bit to smoky and for the majority of my town driving you really do not need any more torque than standard in that rev range.

Unfortunately when I left I did not look at the new Dyno graph as I thought it was the same as before, big error. They had remapped it again, this time peak power was 179.5 BHP, a lovely increase from my so called standard 165 BHP and my god it felt sluggish.

So back again for the 5th time, with plenty of apologies from AMD, they took the car back in, but said they do not store maps and settings, so would need to remap the car once again. Shaun (owner/director) is mostly responsible for the remapping so he took charge of the car. Another few hours and he said it was completed and much better, he did not give me a Dyno graph but said it was putting out approx 195 BHP. So I took it for a spin, it was lovely and exactly how I expected between 1000-2000 and pulled nicely through the upper rev range but nowhere felt as strong as the first map and it still tailed off in power past 4000 RPM far too much for my liking. Compared to my old PD150 Bora the two engines are like chalk and cheese, the PD150 unit remapped pulled like a real steam train with no real let of in power till deep into 4300 RPM. Out of interest I timed the 0-100 MPH in the Audi post remap, it took 20.6 seconds, the Bora remapped to 185 BHP and 315 LBFT could routinely do it in 17.6-17.9 that is a massive difference! Ok so the cars gearboxes, weight, drag etc all play a part but still, huge difference!

So I’m a bit perplexed about their Stage 2 advertising, they say with a full turbo back exhaust they can hold torque longer in the rev range which means you should get more power at the top end of the rev range, but this is not the case. Honestly if I took the exhaust off it would not make any difference if you ask me. I have always said to friends that only ever get a full turbo back exhaust if you are going Hybrid turbo as it really does nothing on a diesel and I stick by that now. Wish I had saved myself some pennies.

To conclude, I suppose I started out with a slow but economical car and I tried to make it faster to suit my needs, but following what I would class as a not 100% successful remap, I’m not exactly overwhelmed by the whole experience, even my partner moans that it is not very fast and not that enjoyable to drive but coming from a 335 BHP 2005 Volvo T5 I suppose it was never going to be.

Maybe it is just this car, maybe I'm just not in love with it as I thought I would be, so 4 months down the line, I have decided to put it up for sale come Jan 2010 and buy myself a petrol car, I don’t do the miles now (change of job) so fuel costs are not an issue. Would be interested in a Audi A3 3.2 DSG if anyone is open to a swap :) I also test drove a Megane R26 F1 and a Golf GTI edition 30 the other day, both blew me away, amazing cars.

So I’m a bit perplexed about their Stage 2 advertising, they say with a full turbo back exhaust they can hold torque longer in the rev range which means you should get more power at the top end of the rev range, but this is not the case. Honestly if I took the exhaust off it would not make any difference if you ask me. I have always said to friends that only ever get a full turbo back exhaust if you are going Hybrid turbo as it really does nothing on a diesel and I stick by that now. Wish I had saved myself some pennies.

Would be interested in a Audi A3 3.2 DSG if anyone is open to a swap :) I also test drove a Megane R26 F1 and a Golf GTI edition 30 the other day, both blew me away, amazing cars.

Yeap as I always say unless going hybrid on a tdi then forget the exhaust etc, pointless & dont think it makes alot of difference imho.

As for 3.2 dsg, tbh mate if you like to play with the engine a little, dont bother with 3.2 as you cant do much to it overall, its a nice car but better of buying a 2.0 tfsi, then you can play with it more.

If you like noise, go buy an Elton John album :jester:

If I went for a 3.2 it would be a stop gap until I could afford an Edition 30 and I would not play with the 3.2 following threads on here about how you dont really get any gains.

I'd go for one of the petrol turbos as you're bound to tune it and get better results. 3.2V6 aren't as easily tuned.

Golf GTI would be my choice of those above!

galanot - would you recommend the vnt1852 ? (part number? )
any other mods that were necessary apart from the exhaust?

cheers

This thread is a really interesting one for me, as I think it raises some really valuable points.

First of all I'm really encouraged to see that there are good tuners out there. AmD sound like they have gone to the limit in providing good customer service, so good on them, and as a by product did you know they are running a Golf in the BTCC in 2010?!?!!

Back on topic, there was a comedic (if not slightly poignant) article on Top Gear a while ago with a Renault V6 Velsatis. They spent £x,000's modding it for very marginal gain. Now I know the donor car was shyte, but the point (finally!) I'm getting to, is that there is a bit of a lottery in all of this.

I bought my S3 in 2007, and could have cried with its somewhat uninspired performance. So what do I do? Remap it, then put a filter and a DV on it.

That fly's for a while, but then more is offered so you go back for another bite of the cherry. However you start to reach the limits of some of the OEM components (fuel pump / air box / plugs).

So you upgrade to an HPFP, rip the airbox/Carbonia intake off for an ITG CAI, drop in some cooler plugs. But then it starts to shudder slightly at idle, and there is a slight flat spot at 5,200rpm.

Now having thrown in excess of £2k in the bay, you go for some insurance. A catch can. No real difference. I'm now on cooler plugs again.

Just MAYBE a full exhaust may help. Maybe a new set of injectors or coil packs. Maybe extra cooling may help as the old plugs looked a little ******. Lots of maybe's forming here.

There are so many variables on these cars which are governing the performance of the car (based around the ECU algorithms), that in some specific levels of tune the car may behave in an unexpected way. Problem is, when you load up a map (which turns off some of the sensors), with a particular make of CAI filter (all of which seem to have different MAF diameter pipes and shapes), add a fuel pump (which I can only begin to imagine how that may affect the injectors / warm up cycle), I guess it is no wonder we start to see some inconsistencies, AND as the cars become ever more governed and complex, we see more and more issues (DPF's in the world of diesel, DSG for those who like it flappy).

There seems to be little governance controlling some of the claims of tuning parts, and considering the cost / warranty implications it is becoming a bit of a mindfield if you don't choose very carefully. I chose the ITG filter as Revo's map was developed on a car running it, so I have to assume it will work. The Carbonia was awful with it as it couldn't pass the air.

When you are upping the ante of the car by 10%+, you start to ask a lot of the running gear, fuelling systems, friction and drivetrain components, and as cars are built on tighter and tighter budgets, the OEM components will struggle to keep up (1.4 TSi DSG clutch can't take a remap). Whilst it's an awful lot of fun (if money isn't an issue), the experience seen here in this thread should make you realise whilst there is great knowledge out in the field, the ever increasing amount of new hardware being launched means it becomes harder to find the sweet spot once you bag a mix of upgrade components and try to get them to work harmoniously together.

I'm not trying to put anyone off modifications, I'd be a 1st class hypocrite, but building a long term considered path for your modding has never been more essential as not everything you read in the glossy marketing spiel can always be believed as the pant buldging ecstasy it is set out to be.

Interesting read, and pleasantly honest.

Last edited: