Stuck on which A4 to get...

Intense

Reaction score
Ok, i'm stuck between:
1.8T Quattro and the V6 Quattros - most likely the 2.8.
Now is it worth the extra fuel guzzling for the v6? I have had a vectra v6, and, apart from the noise, i dont feel its worth it.
Any help/pros & cons for each?

Thanks,

Dan

Hello mate. I am a 2.8 v6 (30v)owner. Althought the car is very fun to drive its not massively tuneable without spending silly amounts of your hard earned. I put in a panel filter and bought a full miltek system(minus cats) and I reckon its near the 200bhp mark. If I wanted an extra 10-15 bhp (so ive read) I could get it chipped/re-mapped, for 300-400 bucks. But that amount of cash I feel is not worth it for such a small gain! Short of that for a few grand I could drop in a PES supercharger to push it upto around 260bhp running 10psi max! That much money I might as well bought an s4! 1.8t however I have never owned one but being a forced induction lump will be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to tune compared to a V6. Bottom line if your anything like me you will get bored of the v6's power left wanting more but cant/wont due to the expense. Great car, but limited tuning potential. I commute to London everyday and average about 29mpg on the m40 and roughly 22-25 on the B roads if I'm having fun. My vote is for the 1.8t. Hope this helps.

think you answered your own question with the Vectra statement.
I love the V6 noise but if you want that get an S4
1.8t gets my vote but I am biased

yep what they say 1.8T Quattro much more tunable, you after a avant or saloon, whats your budget? there is a nice black 1.8TQS low mileage, However is catd for 3450 ono on Autotrader

You haven't said if you'll be wanting to tune the car at all yet?

The super smooth, torque monster that is the 2.8 might be for you if you're not on a power hunt.

I've got the 2.8 Quattro myself and am thouroughly impressed all round :)

I agree.. 2.8 for smooth power and 1.8T if you're planning to tune for some lovely turbo power!

I have a 2,8 V6 30 valve Quattro, panel filter and Miltek system, sounds great and goes well too

True, he didn't say if he would be tuning it!! In standard form I would say 2.8 . For tuning still sticking with 1.8 t. Although I do love my car ( 2.8) .

are they thirsty?

1.8T with a remap will be just as powerful and probably more torquey than a 2.8, and will give better gas mileage.

Its also a lighter engine so the handling should be a little crisper.

1.8T gets my vote, although they are rarer.

1.8T with a remap will be just as powerful and probably more torquey than a 2.8, and will give better gas mileage.

Its also a lighter engine so the handling should be a little crisper.

1.8T gets my vote, although they are rarer.

You sure you're ok mate??.. surely a V8 would be more your cuppa tea.

Last edited:
Well it wasnt one of the options now was it? :D

TBH, as a daily driver, a 1.8T is the sensible option even for me, which is exactly why we have a 1.8T A4 as our daily :p

Fuel costs these days means that something like a V8 A4 while a fantastic proposition, would only really work if it was a weekend/toy/second car or if we were doing very low mileage (which admittedly we are now, but weren't up to a few months ago). Its all fine and dandy having silly cars, but if you cant afford to run them it takes all the fun away!

My budget is quite low if i'm honest, with the vectra going completley out of the blue i having got any savings, so looking around £2500 absolute MAX :( Which having had a look around auto trader/piston heads etc aint really enough.
Thanks for the info, i'm definatly going for the 1.8T Quattro Sport now.

Dan

My budget is quite low if i'm honest, with the vectra going completley out of the blue i having got any savings, so looking around £2500 absolute MAX :( Which having had a look around auto trader/piston heads etc aint really enough.
Thanks for the info, i'm definatly going for the 1.8T Quattro Sport now.

Dan

Good choice.. Happy hunting.

They do come up for that money.

Mark just baught one recently for £1200 although i did need some work. I've seen them sell on ebay for as low as £1700 in good working order.

i would say go for the 1.8t quattro. it will be facelift where most 2.8 for sale will be pre facelift. better mpg and probably quicker with a chip. the 1.8t quattro sport is pretty much an s4 with a smaller engine and smaller brakes.

What about price wise? Is £2600 about right? Guess i could maybe barter it down to £2500?

Dan

have seen that car driving around. looks OK but you never know until you go

having had a recent oil pump is a bonus too i would say. seems a decent price.

I see your from nottingham, bit of a trek to see a car? maybe try and see a few more nearer that way you know what to look for etc

Yeh, it is a trek! I'm going to give them a ring in the morning, any tips on what to ask bar the usual ones?
Struggling to find any near me with the right spec and low mileage - also in my price range!

Dan

How long you been looking? dont rush it,

Check for knocks from front suspension,check for broken rear springs,check everything works.

you cant just say bought it!, lol wheres the details did you look at the green one? or you bought the silver one what did you pay for it?

Ha sorry, too excited!
Got the silver one £2250 in the end. Has the annoying centre display problem though!

Dan

couldnt wait then hey? post some better pics up asap. centre DIS is a common problem wold cost around £200 to get a new display fitted

Yeh, is a shame really. Will deffo get it done though.
Just sorted a few bits, wipers were real slow, but the wiper blades were knackered, bought some new ones but still seems slow to me? Even on the fastest setting...
Didnt realise i only has 1 rear fog bulb though! So back to halfords for a refund tomorrow!
And how the heck do i get the sidelight bulbs out?! Right fiddly little hole!

Dan

do the wipers feel strained? a fix HERE most common issue is that people think its the motor, on my wifes car found out it had corroreded in the wiper shaft. vauxhall wanted £60 for the linkage. I managed to overhaul the existing linkage, better get them sorted before winter really hits

Cheers for that, i'll give it a go tomorrow.
When you say a temp fix with wd40, you mean spray the linkages (remove the plastic panel) or not? Like could i just give it a good spray now? or wait til morning

Dan

it gets siezed in the bits that bolt to the wipers, the spindles.

Wadge some down it now, and see it may work straight away,whats the worst that can happen

Last edited:
Ours is perfect :ninja:

The DMF has spat its dummy though, so theres a nice horrble juddering thru the car when slipping the clutch!