Convenience module

Mpathe

1st gear
Reaction score
im having problems trying to syncronise my keys to the central locking and was wondering if the convience module was broke would this stop me from syncronising the keys. cheers mike

model/year might aid a reply Mike

also what procedure you using, vagcom, manually etc?

Yes if the module was faulty this would stop this from working, but are you saying both yours keys dont work of the remote but doors do work fine?

i had to replace the central locking vacuum motor because it broke and im trying to link the 2 key fobs to it. the central locking works now when i use the key in the door.
could someone tell me the part no for the convience module for a 99 s3 thanks mike

Last edited:
Did you replace the whole unit or just some internals as that is the convenience module mate

There is no convenience on a 99 my, it's a central locking control unit and if replaced will need the keys coding via 5051 or vagcom.

Yes you're correct, its officially known as a central locking pump with control unit, but its also known as a convenience module because it does other functions like the newer convenience module, like alarm horn, indicators, internal sensors etc.

There are methods to do the key manually via ignition, but it is best to use vagcom as this will work 100% & you then may also need to recode the module if replaced for your car options.

Didn't know of a manual way of coding keys, learn something new every day, how is that done?

Damn I havnt done it in ages mate & I'm talking about remote functions only, not immo, had S3 for 7 years & think did it twice, then had vagcom, something like one one key in ignition, one key in door lock with door closed, then lock door, click once or twice think was determined by the key number, so 2nd key was 2 clicks & then unlock car then click again number of times, that isnt the definitive method you understand, just some vivid memories from long time back, I'm sure someone on here will advise with the B5/8L cars given was practically the same, but funny enough didnt work for all, so maybe revised modules turned the feature of, all I know is it worked for number of people.

ye i replaced the whole unit, didnt realise it is also the convience module. i'll try it on vag-com cheers lads