This happened to anyone?

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
Fitted a set of Eibach pro-kit springs to the car about 7 years ago. Recently it failed the mot due to the rear suspension springs being damaged.

Bought a new set, and had the rears replaced.
But this was what the old Eibach springs looked like.
The other bits are the parts from the top and bottom that have broken off.
eibach_broken_springs.jpg

Pretty bad right.
Has anyone else experienced this from Eibach or any other springs?

Dunno about Eibachs particularly but its a common issue for the springs to break. As the Eibachs are of a similar construction to OEM then I guess they are as susceptible to this as the OEM ones.

<tuffty/>

I had eibach Coilovers fitted on my old A3 and I've heard through the grape vine that the bloke has recently had problems with the rear suspension, I'm not sure exactly what but the kit was only put on the car about 2-3years ago...

Dunno about Eibachs particularly but its a common issue for the springs to break. As the Eibachs are of a similar construction to OEM then I guess they are as susceptible to this as the OEM ones.

<tuffty/>

Can't speak for Eibach, but OEM spring cracking is due to the design. The 'core' of the spring is thinner towards the ends to absorb little bumps in the road, but the middle is thicker to stiffen it up.
I guess Eibach might be the same for similar reasons?

PS. Mine failed it's last MOT due to a cracked rear spring, apprantly not that uncommon.

Just replaced my rear this week. OEM 2002 springs.

One side had gone, both sides had corrosion.

Same problems on the TT's too, a friend had a broken spring on the rear, he's just had some Eibach springs fitted as they worked out cheaper to do......

The corrosion problem with OE springs is common, I think the issue we have here, is after market springs doing the same. Obviously in Glen's case, he had them fitted 7 years ago, but it still shouldn't happen. My Eibach's has been on my car for 2 years or so, so another 5 years to go I guess....

My OEM ones snapped but still passed MOT lol as the bit had gone so was hard to spot. After 7 years then I guess they are worn and have probally done better than a OEM pair. Seems a very common problem, my mate had one go on his R32 also within 3 years and under 12k on the clock