Removing windows

Jay

Reaction score
How would I remove the glass from the door panels. I've basically taken my tints off but need to get to the corners where some of the film still remains.

I've taken the door cards off to have a look but couldn't see what I need to remove next to get to the windows.

thanks

I haven't done this myself but was speaking to a tinter the other day that showed me how.
Once you get the door card off and the window seal off the top of the door bit (rather than the window frame bit) there are two bolts/screws at the front edge of the door, one at the top rear edge of the door, and one at the bottom rear of the door.
I think once these come out then the whole window comes away in a frame. If you imagine that the window frame you see follows the outline of the door right down to the bottom.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Did this on my 1.6 Saturday to replace a broken carrier.

Rather than me cobble together an explanation - just look here: http://www.piglet-net.net/tech/cars/a3-window.html

It's a very simple task. The only thing it doesn't mention is that when you remove the screw under the grab handle, there is a little plastic surround that needs pulling down first which will reveal two more screws that attach to the door.

Good luck :)

thanks. Looks a bit complicated but i'll give it a try

Looks much more complicated than it is - it's really quite simple when you get down to it.

Totals 5 screws and 4 bolts to get the doorcard and subframe off, then two screws to get the glass out.

This is one of those, if you have done it once, you could probably get the glass out in under 15 mins afterwoods, the first time is always the most interesting. :)