A4 model years

• Thread starter imported_cheng41328
  • Start date
I

imported_cheng41328

Hey all, I'm looking to buy an a4 and was wondering a couple things regarding the 1.8t models. What year is best for general modding? Also, I know the a4 got a facelifts and such in 98, and again in 99.5, but I was wondering if anything else changed, such as the engine. The reason I ask is that I'm currently looking at a '97 a4 1.8t that is actually a pretty good price with decent mileage. I was just wondering if I should just hold out and pay a few thousand more for a 98' up model. Basically, are the '97's that much different/worse than the '98 up models. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

In around 99/2000 they went from a direct throttle connection to drive by wire. Drive by wire means you can have cruise control added for about £300 and chipping gives slightly better results.

I don't know about differences between the other years - my advice would be go for the newest you can afford but make sure the car has been looked after and mileage isn't too high if you are considering tuning.

Finally paying more for a Quattro will give you 4 wheel drive which in my opinion makes a huge difference to driving enjoyment (depends what you prefer of course).

I'm in the United States. I recently saw a 1997 audi a4 quattro 1.8t with 95k miles and a major service done at 85k. Is this worth buying? Or should I hold out for a '98, '99 for around 10k with probably around 80k miles.