what a difference a TURBO makes

pagey

Reaction score
hi all just thought i would tell you how how my car has come to life.
bought my audi about four months ago ,its a 18t avant sport when i picked the car up i was disapointed with the performance but thought because it was an estate it was just heavy.
just after buying it i noteced that the turbo had develped a rattle ,i was told the turbo was on its way out .
i joined the audisport forum a few weeks ago and took my car to audis in the park and had a go on the raffle and won the remap from chip and spin ,so i thought that i needed to take the turbo off for a rebuild ,so after going on holiday in the car i took the plunge and took off the turbo to my supprise the nuts that hold the actuator arm to the watse gate had come off and the wastegate was flaping around! so i sent the turbo to ar turbos in yorkshire they reset the actuator and sent the turbo back .
i fitted the turbo on this evening took the car out and what a smile i had on my face the car just took off down the road ,cant wait to get i chipped next to see what my raffle prize will do to the car cant wait !!!!!!!:jump:

Our turbo seems to be rattling on the overrun, presumably its a similar fault. Wonder how long it will last before it gives out....

Interestingly theres a thing in the service book for the turbo having been changed at 120k for the same fault.

When i got my Avant the wastegate was missing from the turbo and was in the cat.

Good result for you in the end the 1.8t is a great engine.

When i got my Avant the wastegate was missing from the turbo and was in the cat.

Good result for you in the end the 1.8t is a great engine.

Mmmmm thats a new one.
Wastegate assisted CAT. think you are on to something there!
was it damaged?

That first part of the cat was damaged. It eventually broke free and rotaed 90 degrees causing a massive loss of power i couldn't do over 80mph. So i replaced it with a de-cat.

Nice one pagey glad you got it sorted.

Your remap should really bring her to life :icon_thumright:
You going to upgrade your DV before you get the map?

Keep us posted anyway mate.

thanks for reading my post guys ,lee you where talking about a dv ,dont want to sound thick but what will that do for me some info would be good thanks mike

710n OEM for the 225 Audi TT/ or S3 will be more than adequate for your needs. Sometimes the extra boost pressure can cause the old one to fail. The 710n is able to hold a higher boost more reliably without causing problems. I probably should have mentioned it when you rang as you would have to undo / do it up when fitting/removing the turbo :sorry:

Mine has a rattle but im holding nearly a bar of boost so maybe my rattle isnt the turbo. Mines gutless quite alot but then last night went like ****! Just wish it would all the time lol

Its the cars way of stopping you selling it,lol

Mine is pretty consistant ATM unless it gets extra ordinarily hot she is ok.

Drizz, even when she isnt working well is she boosting ok?

Yeah boost seems fine but id imagine its the temps at the moment not doing it any justice. It was damp and cool last night and i scared a biker who had to slow down for corners :) I love Quattro ;)

thanks for reading my post guys ,lee you where talking about a dv ,dont want to sound thick but what will that do for me some info would be good thanks mike

Sorry for the late reply mate.. what Mark said ^^^^^

hi all been to audi today and got me a new 710n valve ,think it was a good thing you all told me ,think the one that i took off was the origanal one dated year 99 ,after i put it on rang and got me booked in for the remap.
chip and spin gave me two options ,30bhp increace which they said would give me better mpg or the 40 bhp but wont help my mpg. ,dont know which one to go for ,let you all know how it went when i get it done next sat ,thanks for all your help men

quattro has got me out of some sticky situations :)
I have not had a situation in recent times where i felt quattro would have done better or got me out of something.

I really need to drive one in anger to tell the difference

Pagey, you will find that the 30 or 40 bhp map will still be better of fuel with a light foot

hi all been to audi today and got me a new 710n valve ,think it was a good thing you all told me ,think the one that i took off was the origanal one dated year 99 ,after i put it on rang and got me booked in for the remap.
chip and spin gave me two options ,30bhp increace which they said would give me better mpg or the 40 bhp but wont help my mpg. ,dont know which one to go for ,let you all know how it went when i get it done next sat ,thanks for all your help men

Go for 40 BHP my friend :)

I notice it daily when i dont slow down for roundabouts. LOL

I don't slow down either, i wonder how much faster a Quattro would be in "normal" conditions. Has anyone driven both in anger?

Sorry to steal your thread Mike, i will start a fresh one if much more off topic