DASH LIGHTING

• Thread starter imported_AudiAuto
  • Start date
I

imported_AudiAuto

hi, have a 97 audi A3, 1.6 base model. i dont have climate, just normal rotary fan/temp controls knobs. i want to know, r they supposed to be lit up with the rest of the dash? at the moment there is no light, so at night u cant see what knob your turning. i'm wondering if theres supposed to be a light 4 it behind, and the bulbs blow.

also, do u think the VW blue light looks better then the Audi red? i personally think the blue looks much better, am gonna see if i can get hold of the bulbs they use, as the dash is exactly the same as the golf.

In my old A4 the dials were lit up so I reckon you need to chnage the bulb. Also to make it all blue it might be harder than u think. They don't use red bulbs, they use white bulbs with red filters, so you'd most likely have to change the filters to blue. I think I'm right in saying that. Also I think a combination of blue and red looks best.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
hi, have a 97 audi A3, 1.6 base model. i dont have climate, just normal rotary fan/temp controls knobs. i want to know, r they supposed to be lit up with the rest of the dash? at the moment there is no light, so at night u cant see what knob your turning. i'm wondering if theres supposed to be a light 4 it behind, and the bulbs blow.

also, do u think the VW blue light looks better then the Audi red? i personally think the blue looks much better, am gonna see if i can get hold of the bulbs they use, as the dash is exactly the same as the golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dash is completely different to the golf... The golf and octavia share the same dash, and the A3/S3/Leon/Toledo share the same dash. It sounds like the bulb is blown mate. You could change them for the blue ones, but you would have to change ALL the bulbs for it to look right!

Rich

are you also talking about the lights on the instrument cluster? They are all miniature leds and are soldered in so it will be a fun job swapping all of those. Any yes the dials should light up. You will need to remove the stereo and the ashtray to get at the screws that hold the panel on, then un-clip it. This will let you in to see the rotory control and where the bulb goes into it.

k, my mistake i thought it was the same dash as the golf. would the dash led's be soldered on as well? or, if it is a red filter, then would it be difficult to change it to a blue filter?