Whats wrong

SDO

Reaction score
Hi guys

Last week i filled up with petrol then 10 mins later it gained a lumpy idle over the weekend i checked the plugs and checked the coil packs, disconneted each individually and 1, 2 and 4 when disconnected the engine got worse and on 3 it stayed the same, swapped the coilpack with one we knew was fine and still had the same problem. did the same with the injectors and it all points to a problem with cyclinder 3. i've put some redex in to treat the petrol and to clean the injectors. Got through my petrol with 50 miles left in tank and it all got worse got no power really struggling to move and had a single puff of black smoke come out the back was abit better after that but then got worse again. Through all this i've had no codes come up or lights on my dash. it smells awful from the engine but smells quite rich from the exhaust

any ideas what it could be??, its a 1.8t s reg and is it possible to put diesel in

cheers

Well cant you remeber what you put!

I'm near enough certain it was unleaded as i put 30ltrs in and it cost £30.52 but i'm not 100% sure the more i think about it the more i can't remember. plus i thought the diesel pump was bigger then the unleaded one so it wouldn't fit

Tbh not sure on the diesel nozzle size's. When you went to fill up you wernt on red where you?

not really it was showing 15miles left in the tank

then tbh had you put that much diesel in, the car prob wouldnt run at all, let alone just drop a cylinder.

As you have tried coilpacks, its more likey the Ignition Control Module, they tend to drop a cylinder first

would the ignition control be the casue of the rest of the problems??

might be a silly question, but have you checked the ignition leads?

What station, and what quality of Petrol? JET had a recall a while ago cause their 95 wasn't filtered [or something more technical than that] and a couple of people had to claim back as it destroyed their engines?

If you were using low octane [which at that price you must have been £1.02 / L], try topping up with V-Power, running down to half, topping up with V-Power again, and repeat, and see if it gets better.

Also heard bad things about redex, but that was opinion and never confirmed.

What station, and what quality of Petrol? JET had a recall a while ago cause their 95 wasn't filtered [or something more technical than that] and a couple of people had to claim back as it destroyed their engines?

If you were using low octane [which at that price you must have been £1.02 / L], try topping up with V-Power, running down to half, topping up with V-Power again, and repeat, and see if it gets better.

Also heard bad things about redex, but that was opinion and never confirmed.

was rgis all jet garages or just a few brcause i fill up in jrts and my engine just died recently

All sorted now it was the Ignition Control Module

Sweet, good to hear.
@hammondr - I am not sure, I heard about it well after it happened, and I think it was in the news, but they were not exactly shouting about it.

I guess you get what you pay for, so I am happy to spend the extra £0.06 per litre, that a total difference of under £4 per tank, and I get slightly better mileage, so it evens out in my opinion.

More bad news followed by great news, picked the car up yesterday and the mechanic told me that when the ignition control module went it had a knock on effect over my engine, and quite a few things were close to there parameters of failing. So he put my car back all the original settings. This ment i lost my remap car felt so so slow. Got home and spoke to JBS who did my remap in the first place and they've said if i take my car to them they re flash it for me FOC only if they can determind its the same car. Which i think is fantstic of them and i'd like to say big thanks