HID's Advice

sc00byd00byd00

Frank and Beans...............
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Want to get some HID's fitted to the new motor but not sure which brand to go for.

Was thinking of getting the; Supervision 50w HID xenon converison kit from
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk

Quite fancy the 8000k colour option too.

My question is though would I need to get 2 kits for the B6 model ? Or...... do you guys who already have them fitted only have them on the headlights and not the main beam ??

Cheers,

Scott

I only have mine on the headlights. 43k produces a nice crisp white light, I love 'em. I wouldn't want to go any higher.

Any example pics ?

Also, I heard that 6k are supposed to be the most powerful, 8k give a slight blue tinge and 10k are more purple ???

43k is the optimal light output for Hids and that’s why all the car companies use them 6k will just give a slightly more blueish light

As Doc say 4300k is oem xenon spec, I went for 6000k before I knew that, and they are ok, but if I had the choice again I would go for 4300k.

You can only put them in the dipped beam unit, as they are the only ones that are ellipsoid lights, the main beams are reflector units so won't work so well with the HID's. Get a nice set of xenon colour uprated H7 bulbs for your mains :thumbsup:

I went for the 6k on my motors and IMO is spot on,love them! I do like a 'slight' hint of Blue though.

How have you guys wired them in ? Any pics ?

I like an example as something to work towards before I attempt to botch job it myself :think:

Going to change my bulbs to 4300K when I get round to it, currently running 6000K.

Rule of HID: "increase the colour temp" gives "decrease in visible range" introduces "more blue light"

Go for slim-line HID units - documented this which makes for a nice solution with it all hidden away within the headlight unit like an OEM solution Link Here

I had a 6000K set on my old car, they are definately blue tinged, the 4300K ones are more like white, poss. slightly halogeny (yellowy edge?) I'd buy 4300K if I was in the market for them. My kit came from HIDs direct. Simly fit, the kit plugs into the existing wiring loom one end and into the back of the bulb the other. Buy one guaranteed to work on your car as some kits especially Korean or Chinese imports have the bulb failure indicator beeping at you. That is very annoying!

PS: HIDs are illegal to fit to halogen H7 cars unless you buy a set of HID specific Audi headlamps, and you have both headlight washers and self leveling headlights on your vehicle (Not the ones with the little manual wheel, the fully auto ones)

Some insurance claims have been invalidated becuase on inspection HIDs are found to be fitted, even if they are not involved in the accident.

However HIDs, if set up properly WILL pass an MoT test, I've done it.

Ive managed 3 mot's with my 6k Hids (...with a slight hint of blue:cool:) and had no probs either. Might sound daft but believe me, Ive seen some cheap sets that claim they are 6k but look more like 8k IMO.

also what we got to remember is most of these HID's are made in China etc but just rebranded by whoever is selling them...

The 6k I always get are just right for me as like I said I prefer a "slight" hint of Blue.
If you want the Whitest then as stated go for the 43k.

I have no Pics though mate, not yet anyway! Im sure there are plenty here that will assist with that!

I sold and fitted Smooth Assualts mint Audi with 4300k off my previously sold 1.8T sport.

The 4300k does not give a yellowish hint but when fully warm they are ice white and produces a crisp bright beam. I have had higher HID's before and the beam looses the brightness due to the colour.:undwech:

I sold and fitted Smooth Assualts mint Audi with 4300k off my previously sold 1.8T sport.

The 4300k does not give a yellowish hint but when fully warm they are ice white and produces a crisp bright beam. I have had higher HID's before and the beam looses the brightness due to the colour.:undwech:

....you tired of them door blades yet...:angrymod:

Havent had a chace to fit them to the V6 they need colour coded will try them on the car if not may part with them.

Havent had a chace to fit them to the V6 they need colour coded will try them on the car if not may part with them.

Yeah good Idea, part with them....;)!
If you do then let me know...

;)

red-headed_vulture.jpg

I've got some virtually unused 4300k HIDS for sale £75 delivered with 18mths warranty. Bought them, fitted them, then realised I was blinding everyone due to the reflector lenses...****...
Great white colour, I had 6000k on the supra and they were actually quite blue, hence why I went for these...PM me if interested

just get dipped beams... as mentioned - they take a second to come on, so you lose the ability to actually "flash"....

OEM Audi (4300K?) are a very nice white and very slightly blue already... unless you're looking to really TRY to look "special", just stick with 4300K for driving.

In terms of colour OEM bulbs are Philips 4300k bulbs but these usually colourshift to around 4600k after a couple of years. I've got 5000k bulbs in mine which is the perfect balance between looks and functionality, you don't really lose too much light compared to 4300k, but there is absolutely no hint of yellow at all. They work well with the projectors in the A4 which have a pretty decent cutoff and colour blend compared to my S3 which is just awful.

So which brand should I go for then ?

HIDS4U or HIDS-Direct ?

HIDS4U seem to have the 5k ones (and other colours) but seem to be twice the price.

Any other options ?

Don't put HIDs on main beam, part of the MoT test is that the headlights can be flashed, aftermarket HID kits can't unless they are hot, the MoT man may well fail it. Also, the benefit on main beam is tiny. Standard main beam lights are pretty good with decent bulbs, not worth the cash, and you'll never notice the difference in real life!

I can go one better than a pic...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=71438

I'm not sure what is supposed to be most powerful, but I know the higher the number the more purple they get. White > Blue > Purple

Too compliment? Smooth's vid:-
240120092860.jpg

4300K HID, granted the headlight wasn't secured fully when taken.

I wouldn't go for HID4U they are pretty expensive and from what I've seen their products don't seem to be a higher quality that HID Direct or some of the sellers on Ebay. I'd just look at getting the slim ballast, fractionally bigger than a credit card but a bit thicker. You can then mount it in the slot at the bottom of the headlight casing where the OEM ballast goes, I think James has posted a link to a guide.

Too compliment? Smooth's vid:-
240120092860.jpg

4300K HID, granted the headlight wasn't secured fully when taken.

I wouldn't go for HID4U they are pretty expensive and from what I've seen their products don't seem to be a higher quality that HID Direct or some of the sellers on Ebay. I'd just look at getting the slim ballast, fractionally bigger than a credit card but a bit thicker. You can then mount it in the slot at the bottom of the headlight casing where the OEM ballast goes, I think James has posted a link to a guide.

James ???

Not sure how this has been linked to me, but Woorlord has done a guide to fitting slimline ballasts in the headlight unit HERE :applaus:

Oops, my bad! You're just always so helpful with the lighting diagrams and whatnot! :ermm: And a great right up by Woorlord it was too :respekt: