audi 1.8t compared to quattro'd

emery1990

Reaction score
Just wandering how much more powerful the quattro would have to be to be the same as the normal 2wd a3, i want to tune mine quattro up but would i be better off doing a normal 2wd audi instead, maximum ill tune up to is probally a k03s turbo. ?

You lose a fair bit of power through the quattro system, but as standard the quattro is still quicker than the 2wd (7.3 secs to 60 as opposed to 7.9 for the 2wd). A mapped K03s 2wd against a mapped quattro, the 2wd will probably cream it.........in a straight line. Get on a curvy country B-road and the quattro will leave it for dust!:racer:

thanks, so there both as a good as eachother then. I guess the quattro will always need about 20bhp on top to keep up then. No point in selling my car then, after all its the one i saved up for.

personally i would stick with the quattro. there are others that will say otherwise

^^^ ...and its quicker off the mark than a more powerful and lighter 2wd A4 ;p

<tuffty/>

As you've already got a quattro I'd keep it, you know the car is sound and it has it's own advantages...however I had a fwd A3 and if I had to buy another A3 in my life I'd go for another fwd with the k03s turbo, it's lighter and more chuckable, I don't think personally 220 bhp quattro is as much fun as 220 running through the front wheels, sort the suspension and there more than capable on the twisties, if you were talking 260bhp like an S3 then quattro is invaluable...

As you've already got a quattro I'd keep it, you know the car is sound and it has it's own advantages...however I had a fwd A3 and if I had to buy another A3 in my life I'd go for another fwd with the k03s turbo, it's lighter and more chuckable, I don't think personally 220 bhp quattro is as much fun as 220 running through the front wheels, sort the suspension and there more than capable on the twisties, if you were talking 260bhp like an S3 then quattro is invaluable...

I have plenty of fun :thumbsup: I love the drive and whilst not as fast as an S3 I think I would still prefer my A3 as I can do more to it :)

I was going to say, standard suspension is poor....very poor!!!. An A3 with sorted suspension wouldnt have any trouble with a Quattro through the twisties....I know because I've done it ;)

The power losses are not noticable due to the way the Quattro system works, most of the time the car is 2wd, but due to the design of the rear suspension it will always handle better than it's 2wd counterpart quattro aside.

I would take the quattro anyday over the possible weight disadvantage over the 2wd.

I have been very suprised by the progresive handling of the quattro, and although i have a well sorted car i recon with a comparable(brave) driver i would struggle to keep up through the twisties if it wasn't for the lighter more powerful car

^^^Eibach pro springs to go on with S3 dampers so looking forward to taking her out for a ickle play once that is done but TBH she sticks like the preverbial anyway ;)

The difference between stock and uprated suspension is night and day. Get yourself some uprated antiroll bars as well if the pennies allow. Coupled to decent springs and shocks.....brilliant. Mines awesome since sitching the stock suspension. :)

but then do all that to a quatrro and what have you got, great handling with being able to put power down cum wind rain or shine

I have been very suprised by the progresive handling of the quattro, and although i have a well sorted car i recon with a comparable(brave) driver i would struggle to keep up through the twisties if it wasn't for the lighter more powerful car

Very true, you could stick my mum in a Quattro and I would run rings around her all day long. However stick my brother in one and I'd be dusted good and proper.

My S3 hasnt had any mods in the way of handling apart from some Falken 452 rubber and it sticks like sh1t to a blanket! (both in wet and dry) in comparison to my FWD A3 which had been slammed with ARB's.....If my S3 was lowerd with ARB's only god knows how happy id be with the handling! (would have to buy seat covers for alsorts of leakages) LMAO. But ive spent all my penny's on BHP mods :) Which im happy with although i wish i did have a lowering stick in the glove box to adjust coiles with.

stacie i was referring to tom's post earlier

I was undecided between a FWD or Quattro when I was buying my car but went for a FWD as all the Quattro's I looked at were nails. When I found my car it was the best one I had seen (and I saw a lot) so was too good to pass up on. The Quattro's were more money with a load more miles on so it was a no brainer for me.

I'm happy with my decision though, my cars just how I want it now and I've not really had any issues getting power down in the wet. Handles well and stops well etc so I'm more than happy with it. Might have problems when the power goes up but I'm sure I'll be alright.

I was undecided between a FWD or Quattro when I was buying my car but went for a FWD as all the Quattro's I looked at were nails. When I found my car it was the best one I had seen (and I saw a lot) so was too good to pass up on. The Quattro's were more money with a load more miles on so it was a no brainer for me.

I'm happy with my decision though, my cars just how I want it now and I've not really had any issues getting power down in the wet. Handles well and stops well etc so I'm more than happy with it. Might have problems when the power goes up but I'm sure I'll be alright.

thats i got my quattro, didnt really have a clue to honest what was what, i was just wowed by the 4wd, but also there was no audi 1.8t's anywhere near me, i picked mine up from a garage 2 miles away, i was looking for the annivasary 1.8t but had no luck at all, I'm kind of stuck in the way of suspension, is a £300 kit a good kit, i have no clue about handling, also do the roll bars show inside your car or is this a roll cage im getting mixed up with, as my remap is £500 dunno whether to put this towards a k03s, how much further would i have to save for that, about another a grand? then remap it when its all modded up.

I'm happy with my decision though, my cars just how I want it now and I
've not really had any issues getting power down in the wet. Handles well and stops well etc so I'm more than happy with it. Might have problems when the power goes up but I'm sure I'll be alright.

Yer same for me only got the quattro really as it was 2 miles away, well saying that there was another one 2 miles away but he wanted 7500 for it, my brother told me to sort myself out, i did then 2 weeks later found one for 6k, still expensive but it was a from a garage.

Im stuck for handling, dont really know much about it, first move would be a suspension kit? is £300 expensive or is this a medium range, imagin top range ones are over a k, also are rolls bars like a roll cage , can they be seen from inside your car, what would be a good lowered measurement to go by, 30mm is what ive seen alot. Not sure whether to just wait and get remap after i have a ko3s turbo fitted, its £500 to get a remap, so a grand in remaps is quite dear.

Yer same for me only got the quattro really as it was 2 miles away, well saying that there was another one 2 miles away but he wanted 7500 for it, my brother told me to sort myself out, i did then 2 weeks later found one for 6k, still expensive but it was a from a garage.

Im stuck for handling, dont really know much about it, first move would be a suspension kit? is £300 expensive or is this a medium range, imagin top range ones are over a k, also are rolls bars like a roll cage , can they be seen from inside your car, what would be a good lowered measurement to go by, 30mm is what ive seen alot. Not sure whether to just wait and get remap after i have a ko3s turbo fitted, its £500 to get a remap, so a grand in remaps is quite dear.

I went for a Wietec 40mm kit which is springs and shocks. I think so still not too expensive. Its a good kit and handlings great, the ride is still nice and smooth though. I got the 40mm kit so its low but not too silly. I can still get over the thousands of speed bumps around here. Plus I'd just got 18" wheels so the 40mm drop means they fill the arches really nicely.

The antiroll bars make a big difference though. I went for KW ones and they're spot on. You cant see them from the outside of the car and they're nothing to do with roll cages (actually, you can just see my back one if you stand behind my car...its bright yellow :) ). They reduce the amount of body roll your car gets when cornering and stiffen everything up nicely.

Suspension kit: https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/we...cks-suspension-kit-a3-8l-18t-0996-p-1451.html

Antiroll bars: https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/kw...ll-bars-a3-8l-16-18-18t-19tdi-0896-p-689.html

I find this set up to work really well, I'm very happy with mine now anyway. No issues to report so thats all good.

I decided to get all the handling and wheels sorted out on my car before doing anything to performance. The only engine mods I did was a forge 007 DV and a green cotton panel filter. Now the suspensions sorted its getting more power and a decent exhaust put on. I'll leave it like that and look at a KO3s when I've got a few pennies in the future.

T

thanks mate, bad thing about quattro, stuff normally costs dearer, the suspensions only £30 dearer than the one you showed me and its KW, I'll rather have the suspension first then if ive got spare money then the anti roll bars, Dint think there'd be as dear as they are though. £350.

With the suspension, can you lower it yourself or does it need to be done by someone whos compatent ?

In addition and IMO the best things you can do for the A3 is rear anti roll bar to reduce diagonal weight transfer and S3/TT front spindles to reduce camber change on turns.
Way too much understeer from the factory.

With the suspension, can you lower it yourself or does it need to be done by someone whos compatent ?

If you know what you're doing and have the right tools to do it then you can do it yourself. If not them get it fitted by someone who knows what they're doing.

I got mine fitted along with a new cambelt and waterpump etc so just gave the car over for a day to get it all done at once.

In addition and IMO the best things you can do for the A3 is rear anti roll bar to reduce diagonal weight transfer and S3/TT front spindles to reduce camber change on turns.
Way too much understeer from the factory.

OK, yer be bit better to just get a rear one, what are front spindles, do you buy these seperate or can i get them from a carparts place for quite a reasonable price,

ok thanks tom, think ill leave it to a garage to do.

yer ive experienced the understeer already spent most my time on the brake going around the corner :racer:

yer ive experienced the understeer already spent most my time on the brake going around the corner :racer:

Get all your braking done before the corner and then, once you can see the exit get back on the power. Only get on the power when you know you dont have to take it off again till the next corner. When I had my driver training we used to get a punch in the knee if we got on the brakes mid corner :blush: .......and another one if we didnt get on the loud pedal as soon as the exit was visible.

Tip is to stay smoooooooth. Get everything such as vehicle position and braking done BEFORE the corner, look for hedge rows/street lights to give you a clue how severe the corner is before you enter it. Get your car in position, get your speed sorted, enter the corner....wait for the apex, look for the exit and nail it :) . Getting everything done before the corner means your car stays balanced and composed....jabbing the brakes mid corner is not a good thing :)

good tip thanks, yer dont look to good aswell to the passeneger you got in your car, been practing on the counrty lanes lately took it out last night got a my favourite corner then like a 1 mile straight,then zooom. !!