a3 1.8t to 250 bhp.

emery1990

Reaction score
Ive been asking around sites for all different opions.

I know it can because ive read on a post that somes had it done,

Itll need a k04 turbo for starters remapp, larger fuel injectors, etc.

Im not an expert on cars or anything so dont really know to much about it to honest.

Some said id need a nother intercooler, then someone caned for me even saying it, just a bit confused about the cost really.

would it be worth just saving up for the s3, which i imaging is more tuneable. ? :s3addict:

buy the time you have done all the mods you could have brought an s3 so if you already want an s3 then your still want one after, however some people like a3's and are happy with them

Dont worry about a 250bho A3. To be honest you can still have a capable car running a KO3s. Save yourself a few quid and go for a remap, uprated DV, panel filter, decent exhaust and some handling mods and you'll be happy for sure.

Or save the pennies and buy an S3. I cant be ***** to try and get my car any more than 200bhp. It'll be quick enough and also reliable, handlings perfect now so just time for a few more ponies to get it how I want it.

yer your right, im only 18 think i need to slow down a bit. want be able to get insured anyway.

How did you improve handling, ive seen them like engine bar things..that go across from one suspension to the other mount ?..i dont no techincal names, strut braces is it? have you done any weight reductions, all ive done is take out my spare wheel. and thinking of getting non electric seats.

what will an uprated dv do ?

edit: is the dumpvalve youve got the forge 007, i was thinking of buying it ages ago anyway. have you got a recirculating one or normal one.

I've fitted all new suspension bushes, uprated springs and shocks (lowered 40mm) and much thicker anti roll bars. The car handles really well now.

As for the engine bar thing you're on about, thats a strut brace. I've not bothered with one but the S3 does come with one as standard. Its not someting I'm interested in fitting though, dont think I need one.

Yep, the DV I have is a Forge 007, the 1.8T engine needs to have a recirculating one otherwise you'll get poor running and faults flashing up all the time. The forge one is all metal so wont fail like the plastic original ones can. It wont give you any more BHP etc but they do hold boost a bit better if your running high boost.

Apart from that the cars got a green panel airfilter and it's getting a Custom Code phase one remap and Miltek exhaust fitted by the end of the week. That'll be it pretty much done then. Brakes are undergoing a bit of a spruce up, cross drilled pads on the front with greenstuff pads...just got the backs to do now.

T

Ahh sounds good, yer ill prob get one of the dv soon got a bit of money coming my way. Yer was thinking of getting a k,n cone filter thats what one of my mates advised me, then maybe a forge silicone intake pipe as heard rumours that the standard a3 one is very restrictive.

Ahh sounds good, yer ill prob get one of the dv soon got a bit of money coming my way. Yer was thinking of getting a k,n cone filter thats what one of my mates advised me, then maybe a forge silicone intake pipe as heard rumours that the standard a3 one is very restrictive.

Yep, a forge pipe would be a good move. Dont bother with a cone filter though, under bonnet temps get very high on turbo cars so you need nice cool air. Turbo's like cold air as its dense (good thing). A cone filter will just suck up hot air from within the engine bay, the standard airbox takes nice cool air from inside the passenger side wing/wheel arch. I ran a cone filter on mine and to be honest it was crap, the car was well down on power. All they do is make a load of noise. I went for a green cotton panel filter for my standard airbox and its great.

The standard airbox is fine with a decent filter in it, if you want the noise go for a closed induction system like a BMC or something that has a proper cold air feel and an enclosed filter. A decent one will cost a few quid though.

T

You've just reminded me tom, ive still got to post pics up of the standard bosch dv, you should see hoe flimsy the actual insides are, it's defo one of the best things to uprate first

Oh yer i understand, im looking for noise, dont like bringing attetion to myself lol Ill look into the filter your on about.

Yep, a forge pipe would be a good move. Dont bother with a cone filter though, under bonnet temps get very high on turbo cars so you need nice cool air. Turbo's like cold air as its dense (good thing). A cone filter will just suck up hot air from within the engine bay, the standard airbox takes nice cool air from inside the passenger side wing/wheel arch. I ran a cone filter on mine and to be honest it was crap, the car was well down on power. All they do is make a load of noise. I went for a green cotton panel filter for my standard airbox and its great.

The standard airbox is fine with a decent filter in it, if you want the noise go for a closed induction system like a BMC or something that has a proper cold air feel and an enclosed filter. A decent one will cost a few quid though.

T

is this what your on about http://www.green-filter.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=812_868_869&products_id=202325

T

http://www.green-filter.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=812_868_869&products_id=202325 is this filter

*highly controversial post ahead*

Do you realise that a 220bhp A3 will be just as quick in a straight line (once rolling) as a remapped S3?

in a line yes
what about top end thow?
but anyways weres the fun in straight line speed
iv always found the twisty bits more fun :racer:

How come that is?

I would hold buying a new DV and get a remap done where they include DV and filter like the JBS deal (£350). DV alone is about 90 quid!

How come that is?

I would hold buying a new DV and get a remap done where they include DV and filter like the JBS deal (£350). DV alone is about 90 quid!

how? what it has slower acceleration though, but if both moving at 30, say would do to 100mph in the same time ?

the S3 has the 4wd traction advantage off the line, but once rolling and out of first gear, a well setup 220-230bhp fwd A3 will be very much on par with a remapped S3 for in gear acceleration times.

I know this through personal experience, although I must add, at the time, i was running 290lbft of torque, which is considerably more than the average generic stage 1 mapped S3....

Weight and 4wd losses go against the S3 big time.

Ive got a quattro anyway, i think ive seen it weighs about 100kg more than a normal 2 wd, so if the s3 had the same power as the 230 fwd audi, itd be like the s3 having 190bhp.