What part is this?

LiveWire

S3X
Reaction score
Hi, whilst cleaning my engine bay up a little I found this part sat on top of the gearbox, I dont have a clue what it is and was hoping someone could tell me what part it is and what it is for??

Looks like a hot water bottle top to me!! but has audi written on it...

this is a bung for the gearbox housing if you look where the box meets the engine near the front you will see a hole in top of the gbox it goes in there , this is where the timing is checked with the marks on the flywheel to find tdc.
hope this helps

Transtimingplug.jpg

P1010010.jpg

yup as stated, unless you have been tucking your car up with a hot water bottle during the winter to keep her warm lololol

Cool, thanks for the help guys, I found the hole and replaced the plug :whistle2:
Just wondering how it came out now:uhm:

probably when t belt was changed they forgot to put it back on

probably when t belt was changed they forgot to put it back on

Thats the thing, I only just bought the car and as it is on 52000 miles I was going to get cam belt changed! now im not sure if it has allready been done? nothing in the service book to say it has been done!! Do I risk leaving it or shall I get the cam belt changed??? is there any way I can tell if belt has been changed? :confused:

ask the previous owner?

if unsure, just get it done and at the same time, get the water pump done also

Dont risk it mate, get the cambelt and waterpump changed asap unless you can get proof its already been done.