remapped car fuel economy

MixedUp

Reaction score
just wondering does a remapped car (on a performance setting) always use more fuel than a standard car. For example cruising down the motorway would if be using more fuel or does it only use more fuel when you really give it gas.

can you have a chip only apply it's settings when in S (on a DSG) and have it standard on D? Isn't it kind of pointless chipping and not having the car in S?

thanks all.

not too sure whether its possible to have it just for S. companies do claim to increase fuel economy but surely, if you want to get your car chipped and make it faster, your main priority is not going to be fuel consumption fair enough if you get it mapped purely for that reason, but a performance remap, will see figures around the same of standard. maybe more cos you have more power so you wont need to use as much throttle.

but if i had more power, id want to use it more often n therefore using even more fuel!!!!

The claims of better fuel economy in the case of performance maps is based on the additional torque at lower rpm, so if you short shift keeping revs low you would see an improvement.

I've had 7 cars remapped to date but never for economy, my own experience leans towards a 2-3 mpg deficit.

Map it anyway and consider it as good value on a laugh per pound perspective.

The claims of better fuel economy in the case of performance maps is based on the additional torque at lower rpm, so if you short shift keeping revs low you would see an improvement.

I've had 7 cars remapped to date but never for economy, my own experience leans towards a 2-3 mpg deficit.

Map it anyway and consider it as good value on a laugh per pound perspective.

Not noticed any difference in economy with mine since I got it mapped - no better, no worse.

i had a remap i no my fuel consumpion is not as good only because i cant stop planting it much fun :scared2:

If you chip your car you will get better fuel cosumption when cruising on the motorway-longdistance. but with kickdown it will use more fuel than the standard ECU