APX vs BAM engine..

Shy19s

Oil running through my veins.
Reaction score
Hi guys, ive had a search through google, and the forum, and i've pretty much rounded the difference down to three things...

1. APX 225 engine was made earlier, i.e. production started in 1998 whereas the BAM engine was only available in 2001

2. APX engine is non VVT and bam is VVT... is there any advantages or disadvantages to having VVT?

3. APX engine was only fitted to the TT whereas the BAM engine was in the S3, Cupra + TT.. Are all these correct?

As far as i can see, both engines have forged internals, 225 engine with the Ko4 turbo, side mount intercoolers etc. Large port head etc..

Can anyone tell me any other differences, positive and negatives of each engine code.. If you had a choice between the two, which one would you go for?

Any help much appriciated.

Shy

I think the was made from 02 - 05 so can prob find a lower mileage one
all so the turbo is a Ko4 023 it has a temp censer in it
and I think The others have a ko4 022

BAM does sound better!

Thanks for the reply george, btw saw your car at GTI spring fest.. those wheels look soo good. Plate is serious lol..

Can you clarify which one has the 023 and 022 etc.. and does this make any difference? any ideas about the VVT?

Shy

Thanks bantam but already had a look through this, no real info on the APX..

Reactions: Stu2206
Thanks for the reply george, btw saw your car at GTI spring fest.. those wheels look soo good. Plate is serious lol..

Can you clarify which one has the 023 and 022 etc.. and does this make any difference? any ideas about the VVT?

Shy

no prob mate
next time you see me come over say hi
you have the nicest a3 I have seen I would love a white s3 do you have a spoiler on the back im looking to take mine off
anyway I have a BAM in mine what engine you got?

Havnt really looked into spoilers yet, but let me know if you wanna sell it.. and thanks for the nice comment.. something different i suppose.. but these days every other car is white and black lol..

its a very long story but ive had a BAM engine to go in the A3, but as soon as i fired her up it was pouring out with white smoke, gave it back.. found another BAM engine, but im like playing around with it cosmetically(colour coding etc) and performance, getting piping, FMIC some other parts before i drop it in.. but before i commit to that engine, i just want to see if there is a better option. hence the APX question.. ultimately intend to run more power but see how it goes when its actually in if you catch my drift.

Its an on going project that has been put off for about a year now due to other commitments, however i really wana get it sorted before summer now!

Shy

Havnt really looked into spoilers yet, but let me know if you wanna sell it.. and thanks for the nice comment.. something different i suppose.. but these days every other car is white and black lol..

its a very long story but ive had a BAM engine to go in the A3, but as soon as i fired her up it was pouring out with white smoke, gave it back.. found another BAM engine, but im like playing around with it cosmetically(colour coding etc) and performance, getting piping, FMIC some other parts before i drop it in.. but before i commit to that engine, i just want to see if there is a better option. hence the APX question.. ultimately intend to run more power but see how it goes when its actually in if you catch my drift.

Its an on going project that has been put off for about a year now due to other commitments, however i really wana get it sorted before summer now!

Shy
I know there all white n black now
I want to go for more of a euro look do you have a pic of the rear or your car?

bad luck mate after all that work and had to give it back
what happen to your original engine?

think BAM is the way to go some 1 comment if im wrong

erm i dont think you can just remove the spoiler....its a new boot job im afraid.... i seem to think it was glued on, could be wrong tho but most A3 owners wanting S3 spoilers have to find an S3 boot for some reason

i think im right unless you want to purchase a new spoiler from Audi....if its bonded on your screwed arent ya?

Anyone know anything about the APX engine?

Fundamentally they are the same engine, the crank,pistons,block and that. Its mainly the VVT for emissions and the ECU that also controls emissions that differ.

You do realise its not just the engine that gives the 225 bhp, its the whole package?? Of coures you do... Sorry :salute:

sorry to hijack your thread with my spoiler lol

the BAM has a 20 mm pin dont know about the apx

i took my spoiler off to look lol
its got a strip of tape at the top but theres 4 holes that need filling too

lol byzan, yeah that was the answer i was looking for.. to see whether it still had the forge pistons, ali block large port head, etc etc.. if the VVT is just for emissions then ill be happy.. anyone know how much a new sump is for the BAM engine?

Borrowed from VAG20v.net

20v1updatedzz4.jpg

20v11updatedbf5.jpg

yeah saw this the other day. very good post.. maybe a good idea to add it to the "definitive list of engine codes" sticky?

Will it make any difference that the CR's are slightly different ? i.e. the BAM is 9:5:1 and the APX is 9:0:1??