Rear View Mirror

Lapchien66

Reaction score
Had my 06 3.2 DSG for over a week now. Noticed tonight that I had a crappy rear view mirror - i.e. one that you have to dip yourself! My last A3, a 1.9 tdi 130 SE had an auto dipping mirror, which was great. Can the mirror be replaced? Is it a stealer job? Only ever had grief with swapping interior mirrors in the past... (btw the door mirrors do appear to be self dipping!)

Uh the door mirrors wont be auto dipping without the rear view being because the sides wire from the rear view, you cant have one without the other, can be wired by someone with the knowledge of course & parts, if was near me I'd do it for you at a cost of course & funny cause I have the side mirror glasses that do auto dim for sale.

Uh the door mirrors wont be auto dipping without the rear view being because the sides wire from the rear view, you cant have one without the other, can be wired by someone with the knowledge of course & parts, if was near me I'd do it for you at a cost of course & funny cause I have the side mirror glasses that do auto dim for sale.

Sorry to Hijack - NHN if you have the auto-dim RVM, is the wiring already in place for the side mirrors? Or would it be a big ol' job?

When i bought mine I was told the auto mirror was part of a "convenience pack" that included the auto lights/wipers and the mirror. Was that just ********?

The wiring might be in place from the external mirror down to the door moor module, then down to the internal pillar of the car, then I wired from there to the rear view mirror, this was very easy & the sides wire in parallel into 2 pins free on the rear view 6 pin connector, so need few repair wires & join up above the headlining light assembly & make sure get the wires round right way & no its not a huge job, just patients & time.

Could very well be part of a pack, but you can wire them in anyway.

when I wanted to change the mirror to the auto dipping one in my last A3 I was advised that the whole windscreen would have to be replaced to go ahead with the mod. Needless to say, I just left it as it was.

Does auto DIMMING = auto DIPPING ???

This always confuses me.

I've read in place that they are the same thing..... and in other places that they are different.
i.e. auto dip moves the mirror, auto dim turns the mirror green'ish to reduce dazzling.

Interesting thread, would probably look to doing it myself too.

I think I noticed this in my S3 aswell!!!!

I thought they would come standard with the S3?!!!

AUDI for you I guess...I suppose if the wheels weren't part of some sort of "package" you would have to pay for it!

Most modernish BMW all come with the auto rear view mirror dip as standard!

Does auto DIMMING = auto DIPPING ???

This always confuses me.

I've read in place that they are the same thing..... and in other places that they are different.
i.e. auto dip moves the mirror, auto dim turns the mirror green'ish to reduce dazzling.

Never heard of auto dipping cause this would requires some form of mechanics in the mirror & be tbh stupid given auto dimming achieves the same goal, basically adjusts to counter the high beams of idiots behind you.

Auto Dimming basically darkens the mirror to a level so the beams from behind dont blind you & this is done electronically

May require new screen but a hammer & £50 excess to auto windscreens is the best option & advise them its the auto dimming mirror fixing & take your mirror of before having done so they know what to fit & dont know the difference, lol

Never heard of auto dipping cause this would requires some form of mechanics in the mirror & be tbh stupid given auto dimming achieves the same goal, basically adjusts to counter the high beams of idiots behind you.

Auto Dimming basically darkens the mirror to a level so the beams from behind dont blind you & this is done electronically

May require new screen but a hammer & £50 excess to auto windscreens is the best option & advise them its the auto dimming mirror fixing & take your mirror of before having done so they know what to fit & dont know the difference, lol

Didn't think there was an auto DIP either.

Why does everyone go on about auto dipping then?!?!?
OP says........
Noticed tonight that I had a crappy rear view mirror - i.e. one that you have to dip yourself! My last A3, a 1.9 tdi 130 SE had an auto dipping mirror
:confused:

Didn't think there was an auto DIP either.

Why does everyone go on about auto dipping then?!?!?
OP says........
Perhaps because they are ignorant of the correct method? Not that I'd ever say so!!
regards
Dave.

I always set mine up a bit so you dont get dazzled but can still see clearly when you move your head up slightly. Was told to do this from day one of learning to drive so the examiner can see your checking your mirrors;)