fuel/air problem?

Rutter

Reaction score
last few weeks my a4's been taking a few attemps to start, she fires up but then almost instantly cuts out, takes a few attempts to get it going. then when idling it jerks occasionaly, but the most annoying thing now is when i accerlate heavily (ie overtaking, or joining a motorway, or kicking corsa ***) it kind of chugs/jerks as if its going to cut out.. now i was told its probs a fuel filter but i cannot find one.. iv replaced the spark plugs so it cant be that any ideas? it almost feels asif theres either to much fuel or not enough fuel going thru

apparently i should hear a buzzing/humming if its on its way out but i dont hear anything like that

apparently i should hear a buzzing/humming if its on its way out but i dont hear anything like that

I would expect the fuel pump to buzz if malfunctioning, but a fuel filter?

Out of interest what were the condition of the spark plugs when you replaced them? Any indication as to whether the engine is running rich/lean/burning oil etc?

I am having a similar but intermittent problem with my 1.8. Changed plugs, oil, oil filter and air filter which helped with the cold starting. Plugs showed normal wear, but oil was long overdue a change (my bad).

Now the issue only seems to occur if the ambient temp is high, or if starting a relatively warm engine.

Still to do fuel filter, drive belt and various cooling system bits as per the service interval. If problem persists will look at other sensors.

Mal