S3 decat

vetch

A4 Avant
Reaction score
Is anybody using a full decat pipe on their S3? My newly purchased S3 came with a decat, but it wasn't fitted as the car has literally just had an mot so its had a new cat.

Any noticeable difference when using a decat?

There was a kid on here who said he could feel abig difference after decating his but not sure what post it was, think its quite recent

Strange that many say it 'made a huge difference' but can produce no dyno graphs showing gains.

I've seen S3 de-cats dyno'd, and tried std cats, 100 cell and 200 cell cats personally (you can see through both of the latter clearly) and found no real gains at all - dyno proven (that is a few lb-ft...but within the tolerance of the dyno, not concrete proof of a gain).

Also, many who de-cat have problems with engine check lights coming on.

So, an engine check light, a lot of hassle to get it through the MOT, getting nabbed at a roadside check if you get stopped and no power gains...
Worth it?
Not in my book.

Never mind...it's another meaningless modification for people to add to their signature to make them feel better by an amount directly proportionally to the amount their wallet has been lightened buying the de-cat. Good show.

Probably not a good time to say its for sale then?!

Thanks for the info Ess Three, I was just reading other posts of yours saying the same thing. I shouldve searched the forum prior to posting.

Strange that many say it 'made a huge difference' but can produce no dyno graphs showing gains.

I've seen S3 de-cats dyno'd, and tried std cats, 100 cell and 200 cell cats personally (you can see through both of the latter clearly) and found no real gains at all - dyno proven (that is a few lb-ft...but within the tolerance of the dyno, not concrete proof of a gain).

Also, many who de-cat have problems with engine check lights coming on.

So, an engine check light, a lot of hassle to get it through the MOT, getting nabbed at a roadside check if you get stopped and no power gains...
Worth it?
Not in my book.

Never mind...it's another meaningless modification for people to add to their signature to make them feel better by an amount directly proportionally to the amount their wallet has been lightened buying the de-cat. Good show.

so is that a 'no'?

It's a NO as far as I've seen...and will remain so until I see proof of anything else.
Thus far, all de-cats seem to do is give more noise which enhances the placebo effect.

Unless anyone has before and after plots to show otherwise?