Rattle, clink, rattle, clink

M15ley

Reaction score
Very annoying and very vague but here goes. I have a metallic sounding rattle/clinking noise coming from the back of my car. I have checked the obvious stuff, removed the parcel shelf, removed the spare wheel, dropped the back seats etc. and had a look underneath (as best I can with no ramps) but can't find what it is. My next thought is dry suspension joints but I really don't know - any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance (I hope).

i'm having the same problem, its whenever i drive over a speed bump that the sound is more obvious, its a clunking noise and mine is the s3 quattro. i've checked the droplinks, dampers rear diff mount and all seems sound.

could be a rear spring snapped, mine made that sort of noise when it went, just reach into the cup where the bottom of the spring sits and see if anything is loose

To answer the earlier questions its an S3 and its definately not a snapped spring.

I didn`t think i had snapped a spring as didn`t my mate in his R32 but once we removed it it was just the very top small coil that had snapped and was rattling.

could be exhaust shield at the rear ??? ARB bushes, these are easy and cheap to do.

I didn`t think i had snapped a spring as didn`t my mate in his R32 but once we removed it it was just the very top small coil that had snapped and was rattling.

could be exhaust shield at the rear ??? ARB bushes, these are easy and cheap to do.

Thanks, at least I can try and point the garage in the right direction now. I know its not the springs as during a recent MOT it was pointed out one had snapped. I ended up getting both rear springs relpaced under warranty (Eibach) :applaus: