Busy Day!

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
I was up at the crack of dawn this morning to spend a day sorting a few little bits out on my A3. First off was the grill coming off for a coat of black paint. I actually went for gloss black in the end as I had a can of it kicking around in the garage....I like it!..much better than when it was chrome. Flatted it down and gave it 5 coats and its bob on.

3368458570_012232a0af_b.jpg

Once that was done I fitted some led festoon bulbs for the back number plate. Managed to find some designed to work with 12v so there'll be no issues hopefully.

Then fitted some new clear side repeaters as the standard orange ones were gash.

After that it was time to exploit the sunny weather so got my rotary out to attack the paint work. I've had it a while but not had chance to really use it in anger. Car was washed and then clayed, then given the business with the rotary. Started with Menerza power finish and then final finish.

Car was looking good at this point so it was sealed with Chemical Guys Acrylic shine II and then Chemical Guys Extreme Top Coat. After that it had 2 coats of Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance and a spray of Zymol final finish. All plastics were cleaned with trim cleaner and then sealed.

Wheels were done with Sonus Wheel Bright and tyres dressed.

3368454192_89bcfe603f_b.jpg

Glass was then cleaned inside and out, all door shuts etc cleaned and then the glass was treated to a bit of rain-x.

3367637181_b8028d4768_b.jpg

Outsides looking as good as its ever going to now so the inside was cleaned, vac'd and the seats cleaned with Zymol leather cleaner. All trim cleaned with Megs APC and jobs a good-un!. The Chemical Guys stuff is new to me but I'm very happy with the results. The pics dont really show how much the flake in the paint is popping in the sun now. I'm well happy anyway :icon_thumright: Paints got a really nice wet shine to it and nice glossy reflections.

Its all been done ready for when it gets a tickle with the lowering stick on Monday :whistle2:

Would have got more pics but the camera needs a charge.....plus its taken me about 8 hours to do it all and I'm knackered! (great, work at 22.00hrs tonight!).

Looking good matey, I was going to say it could do with being a touch lower. What's your address, I'll drop my car round for you to do tomorrow ;)

Its getting a Wietec kit fitted on Monday along with KW ARB's so it'll be sitting pretty (-40mm) by Monday night ;)

It was back breaking enough doing this one today....it'll cost a lot of money to get me to do someone elses!. Plus....if I destroy my own paint then thats my issue, I'd hate to have a 'rotary related mishap' on someone elses pride and joy.

T

Stunning mate. Looks really "fresh". Lovely wheels too.

Keep up the nice work. Its the little bits that make all the difference.

G

Its ok buddy i'm going to do mine this summer once i've had the bonnet and bumper resprayed.

Spending a load of time sorting out the paint on mine today has made me realise my front bumper is in need of a respray :(. The rest of the cars spot on paint-wise and its always washed with care etc so there's no nasty swirls etc on it....the front bumpers had a right kicking though.

Post up some pics once its lowered

Yeah you can expect a few. I'm into photograhpy too so I'll be using some newly lowered A3 related subject matter :ninja:

Stunning mate. Looks really "fresh". Lovely wheels too.

Keep up the nice work. Its the little bits that make all the difference.

G

Thanks very much :icon_thumright:

Once its had its work done on Monday I'll be happy with it, the only other things to get changed lookswise will be the aerial for a shorter one off a Civic (thinking of nicking my sister in laws...she wont notice :ninja: ) and an OEM boot spoiler.

After that is all performance realted, its getting a remap in a couple of weeks, forge DV etc so we'll see where that all leads me.

its always washed with care etc so there's no nasty swirls etc on it

What do you and Mr G use to wash the car? Do you use one of those microfibre mits or one of those ones that looks like it has little dreadlocks on it? Also how do you dry the car after the wash?

I need to be taught as I blasted off the laquer on my bumper with my jetwash, then use a sponge (2 buckets) then chamois. I know I should be shot for this which is why I need to be taken back to school :rulez:

What do you and Mr G use to wash the car? Do you use one of those microfibre mits or one of those ones that looks like it has little dreadlocks on it? Also how do you dry the car after the wash?

I need to be taught as I blasted off the laquer on my bumper with my jetwash, then use a sponge (2 buckets) then chamois. I know I should be shot for this which is why I need to be taken back to school :rulez:

For a wash I'll do the following:

Spray off with hose
Wash with lambswool mitt (2 bucket method) (Zymol shampoo)
Rinse off with hose
Wheels cleaned with Sonus wheel bright
Rinse off wheels
Dry with a waffle weave micro fibre
I then give it a quick going over with a quick detailer then to bring the wax back up to shine.

2 bucket method is great, stops all the **** and grit etc going back onto the car. A mitt is really the best thing to use though, you can pick up a lambswool one in Halfords or get yourself onto www.cleanyourcar.co.uk or another detailing suppliers and pic one up.

I'm getting a foam lance for my jetwash soon so I'll be messing around with 'snowfoam' which looks like fun :yahoo:

I think I'm a bit too OCD with my car cleaning though.....my workmates always take the **** out of me for cleaning the pandas at work :lmfao:

I like cleaning my car but i've always had sub-standard results because i've been cleaning the old skool way. Once i've had my bits resprayed (oh er) and the car has been machine polished I want to keep it looking mint. I'll invest in all the gear once my paint work is sorted.

I like cleaning my car but i've always had sub-standard results because i've been cleaning the old skool way. Once i've had my bits resprayed (oh er) and the car has been machine polished I want to keep it looking mint. I'll invest in all the gear once my paint work is sorted.

My other half thinks I'm mad for the amount of money I've spent on detailing stuff to date (perhaps £400?) but she never complains about how her TT always looks spanking new :lmfao:

The initial outlay of cash seems quite high but when you factor in the cost of paying someone else for a good detail and how long the stuff lasts its worth every penny.

If I can learn to do something myself rather than pay someone else to do it I will.

nice job Tom
do mine now and again and proud of the results but like you said its back breaking.

Nice one matey, car looks bang on, mine looks that shiney when I can be ar5ed, so obviously alot of the time it doesnt....lol!!

know how ya feel mate, i spent 4 hours cleaning mine today. it looks dappa now!!

I'm sure its going to look fantastic for about a day :keule:

less than that, as soon as i'd finished it had a nice big bird **** on it :( but other than that i'm hoping to get a weekend out of it. its had the megs 3 stage treatment on it so the paint shud be protected for a while at least anyway

Looks good, i am half way through "rotary"ing mine. I have been waiting till dusk tho so as not to have direct sunlight etc. I too have hit mine with Menz

looks great mate, how much is the lowering package setting you back? where did you get yours from?

looks great mate, how much is the lowering package setting you back? where did you get yours from?

Its all lumped in with loads of other bits but I think its about £420 fitted with a 4 wheel alignment at Midland VW in Cannock.

T