A3 Starting Problem

henners38

Reaction score
hi.
Ive got a 98 1.6 petrol A3 that has problems starting when its warm.

When the engines cold it starts first time no probem (although it sounds a bit rough, - almost like a diesel i've heard that can be a common problem?). but when the engines warm it has real trouble starting.. it'll turnover for ages b4 it'll start.

I've checked the air & oil filter an they both look new.

Cant think of what it would be.. my mate said it might be the Mass Airflow sensor?

cheers guys

Unplu the Air flow sensor on the air box and give it a go to see if it is that first!

Unplu the Air flow sensor on the air box and give it a go to see if it is that first!

yer just tried that an it doesnt make any difference to the starting problem.. jus makes it rely slow an sluggish an hard to pull away

plugged it back in now

yer just tried that an it doesnt make any difference to the starting problem.. jus makes it rely slow an sluggish an hard to pull away

plugged it back in now

Did you manage to sort this mate? i have the same problem, just replaced the coolant temp sesor which i thought cured the problem, but its come back:keule:

sorryfor bringing an old post back! just wondering if this problem has been solved as i have the same problem. could it be anything to do with the thermostat ?

i have the exact same car a 98 1.6 petrol. and mine takes a while to start but only when its cold, when its warm it starts faster.

im guna be changing the spark plugs, and the leads, and see how that goes.