HID Xenon conversion

snyper

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am new to this forum and hope you can help.
I used to own a Mk4 Golf TDi with a HID Xenon conversion kit fitted and had no trouble with them at all. I have just bought an A3 2.0 TDi Sport 2004my and have just tried to fit the HID kit that I have removed from my old Golf only to find that they do not work !

The bulb failure warning message read in the display but the HID's would not illuminate, although their was 12v at the bulb socket. I disconnected the kit and placed it across the battery and they worked, fitted them back to the cars bulb wiring and nothing. Now I can not get them to work at all, even if I wire them to the battery again. Any ideas ?!?!?!

I have found these kits on Fleebay which are more or less the same as mine, does anyone know if they will work with my A3 or not ? If so, I'll buy a new set but don't want to waste money if they wont !

Thanks

snyper :icon_thumright:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-CONVERSIO...14&_trkparms=72:1700|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1309

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-HID-Xeno...14&_trkparms=72:1700|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I believe that aftermarket HID's cause the wiper motors to burn out on A3's mate, but I think there's a fair few posts on here about it already.

Chris

I believe that aftermarket HID's cause the wiper motors to burn out on A3's mate, but I think there's a fair few posts on here about it already.

Chris

Yup, very true. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but it will happen down the line.

Also, just so that other members of this forum don't think I slipping.....

Just be aware that fitting aftermarket HID units without the necessary auto-levelling and headlamps washers will make you car illegal in the eyes of the Department for Transport.

For more detail see this link: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Interesting you say that. :) As long as they are leveled properly Audi will pass it for an MOT. very weird i thought.

I had HID's which were 8000k (bought them not knowing that they were so so blue.) i got stopped for them about 6 months after i installed them. they gave me a disclaimer and all i had to do is change them back to standard and get a garage to stamp it, then send it off. no fine of points.

I have now got 6000k's running. most of the modern cars coming off the line now a days have HID's as standard, they are 5600k so they pretty much look the same.

I have tested cars with self leveling and they simple don't work! i got flashed loads of time by other driver thinking i had my head lights on. its not a very good system if you ask me.

The thing that really ****** me off is i see old cars like Astra's which are at least 10 years old which have HID's. The police don't seem to stop them ether and its staring them right in the face.

Thats a total load of rubbish, not being stuck up but does your car have auto levelling, do you use it everyday, they do absolutely work, very well infact, I've had 3 audi's with all the systems on, its just the xenons put of a clearer brighter light so naturally numpties on the road think they're to high, but infact they're not

The adaptives are of course the holy grail & they work very well indeed, but I know for a fact of 10 years using xenons the auto levelling systems work exactly as they should & yes they're starting to get tough on headlight systems, its the people with aftermarket HID kits that are the problem as they dont use the proper lenses, causing bleedover around the headlight housing & shining all over the place, thats why there is a crystal ball to focus the beams better I believe

So Ben yours are illegal fella, mot's according to my mate, soon are also getting strict on number plates, apparently they wont be allowing any different fonts, spacing has to be correct, the emblems must be EU or your country GB, etc, so I know alot of drivers I see that are well & truly fecked soon, apparently he says if stopped by the pigs you'll be warned 1st time to change it to legal & it will be noted on a national record, if not done then 2nd time it will be removed from the car & you will be given a standard plate so you could lose your entitlement to private plate, god knows when it comes in but its been heading that way for a while with all these numpties with ridiculous fonts, spacing etc, I mean WTF are some people on, how do they expect to get away with some of them I've seen

& I wish newbies used the search option on the site to actually read on the dozens of posts that already have the info he needs, I guess at least I didnt get another PM directly on a single poster this time, the wiper motors gets blown when using aftermarket, maybe not now, week, month, even a year but they go & it costs £2-300, so find some oem's & save your self multiple repairs, dont use aftermarkets, they simply are not road legal & also will cause errors/faults.

i was merely saying that i have used 2 courtesy cars from Audi (brand new) and on both of them i got flashed a number of times. to me that means they are not great. just my opinion!!

please don't me started on number plates. i know someone who has Velcro which holds on him plates and if the police stop him (which they have done many a time) all he does, in front of them i might add is get his legal plates out of his boot and replaces them until he gets home.:wtf:

Then they might have been seriously out of alignment, when aligned they're supposed to stick them in an adaptation mode with vas5051/52 then when in mode adjust to the mot specs, then take them out of that mode, but more than likely it was the numpties that were flashing u that are the thick ones, cause mainly the halogens are worse on your eyes anyway, the halogens remain on the eyes for a while after being to bright but the xenons seem to disappear from the eyes very quickly so no glare etc

That person is the kind thats fecking it for us all, there's having a slightly different font which isnt doing harm then there's blatant fecking idiocy with everything a mess, basically means someone like myself with private plate with a sensible font & proper spacing cant have my quicksilver side emblem anymore, I mean dont these people get fedup being pulled, for this I truly believe they should be fined if they dont listen the 1st 50 times huh

& I wish newbies used the search option on the site to actually read on the dozens of posts that already have the info he needs

Thanks all for your help, i'll leave well alone :icon_thumright:
NHN. I did search but could not find any posts that stated if the kits i posted would work or not !